THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art A

Full Fledged Farker
I see my local Costco has 2 18.5 lb bags of Kingsford Competition for about $21.00. I have only used the original blue bag and I'm curious the experienced differences anyone has noticed between the two. I did read somewhere the competition briquettes burn hotter and produce less ash. So...should I hold out for the original to come out on sale...or try a couple bags of competition? Will my WSM even know the difference?

To me its not worth the price. Especially when you can get 40lbs of regular for $10 during Lowes/Home Depot summer holiday sales. I just load up on those.

The competition version does produce less ash but nothing in comparison to lump. I bought them on sale at costco a few summers ago. Only used them for grilling at the time on my OTG. I have to use lump with my Kamado when smoking.

But then again I started using my weber for smoking after I ran out of comp briq so I never tried it for smoking and don't know if they have any advantages in temp control or favor.

I like it, and I use both. I use the comp briquettes when they have a promotion at Costco (in the summer they are frequently around $16 for the two pack, at least here). I typically use KBB as well, just because if you stock up you can get it so dirt cheap at Memorial Day/Labor Day. That ends up being my "normal" charcoal, and I use the comp in comps, etc.

Thanks folks....once again the bretheren have come through with some great input and advice.....I love this site....and seeing what Cowgirl is gonna cook next :wink:

Kingsford Blue here all the way. Consistent, long lasting, inexpensive. I have used Comp several times and to me it doesn't come close to justifying the 2+ times more expense as compared to KBB. I have both smoked and grilled for comparison Comp vs. Blue on side by side kettles. Comp is a better product but to me it is only slightly.

I've been using it exclusively in my WSM for a while and I would be all over it at that price and size for sure... Wish it was on sale like that up here right now.

Back