Kindling Cracker review

I just leave mine on the ground. I was looking for a stump for mounting but after using it on the ground I found it's pretty stable by itself.
Ground level works for me too. I thought maybe it's because I'm not 6ft-13...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just leave mine on the ground. I was looking for a stump for mounting but after using it on the ground I found it's pretty stable by itself.

I had no functional problem with it on the ground either, worked just fine and didn't sink into the soil or anything like that. It's just that if I had my way, I'd prefer to be more upright...spare tire gets in the way sometimes :thumb:

I use a stump for my poor old back. Found one and it wasn't level but made a jig and by using my router I got it nice and smooth/level. Then, I got a cardboard box (suppose to be temporary but still using it) and set the cracker in it to catch the splits. Works really well. I love my Kindling Kracker. :thumb:

I too bought the XL from the Northern Tool sale. Mine is still in the box because I haven't needed it yet but I do have some wood near the bottom of the pile that needs further splitting. Looking forward to trying it for the first time.

Here is a short (18") bench I built just for the cracker. It leaves the top ring of the cracker at just around 34 inches high, which for me at 5'11'' is just right. 1-8' 4X4 and 2-8' 2X8's and some screws was all it took. In the bottom pick notice that the 4X4 legs are notched (rabbited) to support the 2X8 rails along with an additional 2X8 block in the center. Great for pounding on.

View attachment 176053

View attachment 176052

Last edited:
Here is a short (18") bench I built just for the cracker. It leaves the top ring of the cracker at just around 34 inches high, which for me at 5'11'' is just right. 1-8' 4X4 and 2-8' 2X8's and some screws was all it took. In the bottom pick notice that the 4X4 legs are notched (rabbited) to support the 2X8 rails along with an additional 2X8 block in the center. Great for pounding on.

View attachment 176053

View attachment 176052
I'm pretty sure I have enough scrap wood to build this...[emoji848]

How are you guys keeping the edge on the cracker? I feel like mine needs some TLC.
I accidentally hit a split too hard and the hammer hit the edge of the blade. I gently beat it back to somewhat flat and used a file to get an edge back on the blade. Seems ok.

How are you guys keeping the edge on the cracker? I feel like mine needs some TLC.
Good excuse to go buy a WorkSharp Ken Onion version..... love spending others money. :becky:

A good file will clean up any burrs but I wouldn't plan on re-profiling the entire edge.

It does not take a razor edge to split a log, 30 seconds with a file is plenty.

Got mine a few weeks ago and love it. Thumbs up from me. I throw the splintered off pieces into a wire basket, and always have kindling ready to start the next fire with.
Now, for the longer splits, I just need to investigate this alligator lopper thing...:grin:

For those wondering about using a stump, a frame, etc. to mount it on - leaving it on the ground and sitting on a stool, in a chair, etc. is another option. But you gotta be really lazy. Like me. :oops: It's the next best thing to making my kids split the wood.

Love the kindling cracker!

^^^ some of us are just way smarter than me!

Back