Kettle Roasted Turkey Enchiladas

JasonS

Knows what a fatty is.
The day after Thanksgiving, I stopped at the store to grab something, and noticed all of the turkeys were marked down to $10. Didn’t matter size or brand, they were all the same price. I couldn't resist and grabbed a 14 pounder that was free-range and organic (I went back later in the day and grabbed another for the freezer).

On Saturday, I removed the backbone (spatchcock), applied a basic dry brine and cooked it on my 26” Weber Kettle Sunday evening.

Here it is, ready to pull from the cooker.

45385835124_d5bdd3346f_c.jpg

We had some friends over and shared half of the turkey with them. This is the other breast that actually got wrapped up, right after this pic, along with the other leftover pieces.

32238476678_4e826d3723_c.jpg

Fast forward to Wednesday morning... I decided to make some enchiladas with the leftovers. I also figured I’d enter this cook into the Leftovers Throwdown that is currently under way.

This is all of the meat from half of that 14lb turkey. I removed all of the skin, fat, bones etc….pure meat.

46059828362_a52c68d8d1_c.jpg

I added a bit of the salsa (I used a fork to strain the salsa a bit) and onions, along with a generous amount of meat, to the corn tortillas I got at Trader Joe’s. I’m guessing each enchilada was at least 1/4 pound!

44293441600_e7be79f809_c.jpg

8” Lodge skillet, with 3 jumbos, ready for the grill. I cheated a bit and had a casserole dish with another 10 in the oven to feed my daughters and their boyfriends.

31170412537_1401ce4fb6_c.jpg

I cooked these for about 25 minutes, with indirect heat. They look shiny due to the vegetable oil cooking spray I hit them with. About 5 minutes before they were done, I poured some green enchilada sauce over them and sprinkled with a bit of cheese.

45385805174_cc181c584d_c.jpg

I brought them back inside and garnished with some fresh cilantro.

45198311695_08298d7e7a_c.jpg

This is the plated pic I put together for the TD entry. I served them with homemade refried beans. My wife got this plate! I had mine right out of that skillet. :biggrin1:

45198306945_573a1edaa9_b.jpg

This meal was super easy to put together and the whole family really enjoyed it. Thanks for checking it out!

That looks mighty fine! You guys are inspiring me to take a leap and make something different than my usual turkey tetrazzini with the leftover bird.

Thanks for the nice comments folks, much appreciated!

What kind of Refried beans did you use?

Homemade

Robert-r was kind enough to forward me the recipe, thanks Robert!

1/4 of a yellow onion and 3 seeded jalapenos, finely chopped and sauteed in a bit of lard :heh: add a large can of pinto beans, including the liquid. Bring to boil and start mashing the beans up with a potato masher. I reduced the heat to low and kept mashing till I got the consistency I wanted. They will thicken as they cool. Super easy, super tasty and I'll never have them any other way. Very difficult to mess these up. Tweak to your own liking.

Enchiladas look amazing, great find $10.00 for a free range organic turkey, the color on that bird is beautiful.

Thanks for the nice comments folks, much appreciated!

Homemade

Robert-r was kind enough to forward me the recipe, thanks Robert!

1/4 of a yellow onion and 3 seeded jalapenos, finely chopped and sauteed in a bit of lard :heh: add a large can of pinto beans, including the liquid. Bring to boil and start mashing the beans up with a potato masher. I reduced the heat to low and kept mashing till I got the consistency I wanted. They will thicken as they cool. Super easy, super tasty and I'll never have them any other way. Very difficult to mess these up. Tweak to your own liking.
Fantastic, thanks for the recipe! Going to make that one.

Back