Keeping piggy chilled

MI Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
I’m doing a 100-125lb pig in a couple of weeks.
I need a good way to keep it chilled for a couple of days.
Any ideas?

Maybe a friend has one of those new fancy expensive over-size/over-weight coolers it will fit in?

Borrow it for some take home Q and a 12 pack.

I'm sure it was somehow unavoidable, but why did you have to bring it home so far ahead of time? I think I like the bathtub idea the best, and I'm not sure how great of a friend you would have to be for me to let you store a pig in my expensive, plastic, odor absorbing cooler.

I'm sure it was somehow unavoidable, but why did you have to bring it home so far ahead of time? I think I like the bathtub idea the best, and I'm not sure how great of a friend you would have to be for me to let you store a pig in my expensive, plastic, odor absorbing cooler.

Anyone who has ever stored a dead fish in their cooler for maybe a little too long knows how to handle this stinky situation. :tongue:

The best option is using a Bathtub liner protector at Home Depot for $10. It's a thin black plastic molded shell used to protect your tub when doing bathroom remodel work. 2nd choice is a kids swimming pool, but be sure to measure the hog first.

PS - Use 20# bags of ice around the hog and a block inside the cavity work nicely. I put plastic sheets over the hog and ice, then use moving blankets for insulation. Poke a hole in the liner over the tub drain so any melt runs out.

Just did a 100lb end of June (thread is on here somewhere). I picked it up fresh from the Amish (watched them dress it). Put in one of those large fishing coolers, not sure exact size, something like 120-150qt (my local BJs sells them for about $80), not a fancy roto-mold Yeti, just standard white Coleman. Filled with ice then added about 5-6 gallons of apple juice and 3/4 box of kosher salt. Made a nice AJ salt brine ice bath and kept it good for about 18hrs outside in cooler until it was time to cook, but the ice water was still plenty cold with ice that it could have lasted another day. If need, just add another bag of ice. Probably used about 100lb ice total.

If getting fresh (not pre-chilled) make sure to get some ice under the belly and inside cavity right away. Also, make sure to position it in the cooler how you want it to cook. Once rigor sets in they are pretty stiff.

Last tip. I put a block of wood in the mouth prior to chilling and through out the cook. Keeps mouth propped open. Then simply take out wood and swap in an apple before serving.

Attachments

• 7720.jpg
    7720.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 7722.jpg
    7722.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Cooler.jpg
    Cooler.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
In a big cooler with an ice brine works very well. Add ice as needed and remove liquid as needed. This way it stays cold but also is brining. Like said above make sure you prop the pig the way you want to cook it for final shape.

Back