THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

acs2653

Found some matches.
So team average joes just did their first compeition and it went well. We didn't get a call but we we had a blast! It was a local compeition with some heavy hitter there. Team All Smoked Up was the GC and I was sad that I didn't get to try theirs. Our best showing was brisket which scored a 250 and out worst was chicken with a 181. That really surprised us. We served a lot of chicken to the public in our people's choice category and everyone loved it. The people's choice category did turn into teams buying tickets and putting it in their bucket so the largest team ended up winning it.

I think the judging was inconsistent though. It wasn't a sanctioned event and the judges were just ramdom. Our chicken score sheet had mostly 8-9s but one judge gave it all zeros (probably opted not to judge it) and another gave us a 1 in aroma. And a 2 in appearance. So that hurt us a bit.

Overall it was so much fun. I got to meet a ton of good people and the crowds loved the food that I put out. I cooked on my kamado joes but now I really want an offset trailer! I didn't get a lot of pics of our turn in but here is the money shot on the brisket. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Now you've done it.

ddf0e87bd5241b758007fd3d9cf28958e115681f27611418f56327d4290b5c31.jpg

Congrats on getting out and having a good time, that's what it's all about. And Gowan's right. I went from one Hasty Bake to three with a 18' enclosed trailer, and a LSG cabinet and a ton of BBQ gadgets in a year or so. ENJOY THE SICKNESS.

Well it scored a 250 out 280. I thought that was pretty good for our first time. I tried some other peoples brisket and ours was very, very tender and juicy compared to what I tried. Others injected so it had more of a flavor. I guess I could have injected but I am torn on that. What is the consensus? Do most people inject? I figured it would take away from the flavor of the meat.

Back