Johnson Smokers Reverse Flow Offset Smoker

Chad makes a great product - have had mine for close to 4 years - runs a clean burning fire and keeps constant temps -

Hey TheHojo,

I agree that he makes a damned fine piece of equipment. Glad to see yours has held up so well over the years. I live in eastern North Carolina just a few miles from the ocean so the air / humidity here is pretty corrosive. My poor Yoder Cheyenne offset rusted up all orange after just a few weeks, so about twice a year I had to sand her down to the metal and repaint. Not a big deal but it's frustrating.

So far, my Johnson Smoker, calling it "The OX" has stood up to a few solid thunderstorms and there's nothing but a bit of surface rust on the handles. Think I'm going to build a nice little carport-style overhang for it to try and give it some more longevity.

Yea - no complaints on this end for sure- I keep the fire box clean after every smoke - spray the outside down with vegetable oil every couple of months - and throw a cover on it when not in use - gets used probably 3 to 4 times a month depending on the time of the year - more during the fall and spring - less during the summer.

Just ordered my T Pit 24

Any users of the T Pit out there that you know of. Thoughts on the Johnson T Pit

Any users of the T Pit out there that you know of. Thoughts on the Johnson T Pit

I've looked at the T Pit, and seriously admire the new design, but wonder if there is a temp difference from one side to the other if you're not perfectly level. My backyard is pavers and if finding a perfectly level spot was a drinking game you would be passed out long before the meat hit the smoker. I'd be interested in hearing from some T Pit owners as well.

Chad makes a great product - have had mine for close to 4 years - runs a clean burning fire and keeps constant temps -

Hey TheHojo,

I agree that he makes a damned fine piece of equipment. Glad to see yours has held up so well over the years. I live in eastern North Carolina just a few miles from the ocean so the air / humidity here is pretty corrosive. My poor Yoder Cheyenne offset rusted up all orange after just a few weeks, so about twice a year I had to sand her down to the metal and repaint. Not a big deal but it's frustrating.

So far, my Johnson Smoker, calling it "The OX" has stood up to a few solid thunderstorms and there's nothing but a bit of surface rust on the handles. Think I'm going to build a nice little carport-style overhang for it to try and give it some more longevity.
Thanks for the info on Johnson Smokers! I just placed an order with Chad for a modified trailer unit. He has been very responsive and great at getting back to me with any answers. I should have it mid to late May. Any suggestions on upgrades or anything you would change now that you have had yours for a while?

Thanks for the info on Johnson Smokers! I just placed an order with Chad for a modified trailer unit. He has been very responsive and great at getting back to me with any answers. I should have it mid to late May. Any suggestions on upgrades or anything you would change now that you have had yours for a while?

Hi ShaneLight,

I love my smoker but like anything there are some things which could be done differently.

-The drain valve on mine is super small in diameter and it makes it tough when I pressure wash the smoker as it floods and takes a long time to drain. It also clogs easily so I would definitely ask for at least 1" or maybe 1.5" pipe for the drain valve.

-The firebox grate doesn't run the entire length of the firebox, so if you're using small splits (as I do) sometimes a split will roll and fall behind the grate and I can't get to it, so it will just smolder and it's a pain. I would ask for a grate that runs the entire length of the firebox.

-If you're getting a warming box / vertical smoker over your firebox I would ask him to install a vent so you can adjust the heat to the warming box better than with the inlet to the smoking chamber. I use mine for extra cooking space and with just the normal inlet I couldn't get the warming box to go higher than 175. I talked to Chad about it and he sent me a vent in the mail and I had it welded in... now I can still use it as a warming box, but I can also cook in it easily by adjusting that vent...up to 300+ no problem.

Overall his pits are well built and his take on the RF concept works remarkably well. The things I listed here are really the only things that I think need to be altered at all, and they are very minor changes.

What pit are you looking at?

Hi ShaneLight,

I love my smoker but like anything there are some things which could be done differently.

-The drain valve on mine is super small in diameter and it makes it tough when I pressure wash the smoker as it floods and takes a long time to drain. It also clogs easily so I would definitely ask for at least 1" or maybe 1.5" pipe for the drain valve.

-The firebox grate doesn't run the entire length of the firebox, so if you're using small splits (as I do) sometimes a split will roll and fall behind the grate and I can't get to it, so it will just smolder and it's a pain. I would ask for a grate that runs the entire length of the firebox.

-If you're getting a warming box / vertical smoker over your firebox I would ask him to install a vent so you can adjust the heat to the warming box better than with the inlet to the smoking chamber. I use mine for extra cooking space and with just the normal inlet I couldn't get the warming box to go higher than 175. I talked to Chad about it and he sent me a vent in the mail and I had it welded in... now I can still use it as a warming box, but I can also cook in it easily by adjusting that vent...up to 300+ no problem.

Overall his pits are well built and his take on the RF concept works remarkably well. The things I listed here are really the only things that I think need to be altered at all, and they are very minor changes.

Thanks for the info! I did ask Chad to add the vent from the firebox to the warmer so that should be good. I'll ask about a larger drain valve & fire box grate. I was thinking of asking him to build a basket for the firebox instead of a flat shelf anyway so that is good info. I'm getting the 36" cook chamber with a vertical warmer. I am having the warmer & firebox squared off with slide out grates. I'll post pics once I have it. Thanks again!

Hi ShaneLight,

Thanks SmoothBoarBBQ! I did ask Chad to add a firebox to warmer damper so that is good. I'll check on a larger valve and fire basket to take up the whole space instead of a shelf, good info!

I ordered a 36" cook chamber with a vertical warmer, kind of a modified 1/2 Adv 6' & a large single grill melded together. I did get the warmer & firebox squared off with slide out grates. Thanks again for the info! I'll post picks once I have it.

Thanks SmoothBoarBBQ! I did ask Chad to add a firebox to warmer damper so that is good. I'll check on a larger valve and fire basket to take up the whole space instead of a shelf, good info!

I ordered a 36" cook chamber with a vertical warmer, kind of a modified 1/2 Adv 6' & a large single grill melded together. I did get the warmer & firebox squared off with slide out grates. Thanks again for the info! I'll post picks once I have it.

You never sent those pics you promised...lol. Can you post pics of both the vents into the cook chamber and firebox? I wanna see how they work. I am thinking of placing an order for the ultimate patio. Thx!

Back