THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Heard this on a Youtube video

If your smoker is losing smoke in other places besides out the stack it's not drafting correctly.

Is that true?

This is a wild a$$ guess, but think if the leaked/lost smoke is greater than what goes out the stack, maybe a drafting problem. If this generally happens and you still like the results, don't fix a problem that does not exist. It could be drafting fine, but simply have leaky lids, etc.

Kidding aside, if your smoker is loaded, without a couple of inches of space between pieces of meat, it could be overloaded, thus impeding the air flow. You could also consider a fire that is too large for the smoker. Maybe cook using wads of crumpled up foil plugging areas where smoke leaks and see what happens. It might just be the reason you need to get a new smoker!

It seems to freak people out when wisps of smoke escape the cook chamber doors. As long as I can feel the air moving up and out of the stack - and smoke does not pour out the firebox door when I open it- I call it all good.

A little bit escaping is not a big deal to me. And if I had a YouTube channel, I'd say it there.

There's enough smoke even from a small fire that a little leakage won't hurt.

Lot of guys on the WSM forum freak out if the door, or between the barrels leaks a little, it's not a problem unless it's severe causing too much air intrusion so that you can't control the temperture.

We had a Brethren on here that builds big offsets, and he came on a few years ago and explained his process and reasons for doing it. One statement that he made was when you open the firebox door to put more wood in, if you don't get a face full of smoke, then your smoker is drafting correctly. I will say that is your prime indicator. Since he has done the research and experimentation, I would say he knows what he is talking about.

Ive never seen where a shut lid leaking smoke affects draft unless escaping dramatically before reaching the meat, damage bent crooked etc. however Ive seen several times with an offset mentioned that smoke and heat escaping out the fire box door instead of the exhaust is not cool. several videos show the heat and smoke swirling with offsets. Bullets no place to go but up. generally speaking unless its a dramatic gap or defect the cooker will do what a cooker does, cook chamber will seal itself over time with usage. Sometimes all you need to do is place the meat in a different location inside your cooker until you know its happy places or it seals itself.

but hey, "what do I know"?
(I always throw in that last part in case they mess up a brisket" ;--)

Something to ponder. Not all that long ago and in some places today still, barbecue is cooked over an open pit and fire is regulated with a shovel. Offsets, ranch boxes, drums, ceramics, pellets etc attempt to achieve this open pit method in taste, tenderness and appearance. Pits if covered at all used cabled lids, siding, cardboard, hell everything leaked, and the Pit master used that to his advantage. True barbecue requires a shovel. I didn't say that, but several barbecue folks have. Don't let a little whispy blue bother you from a present day modern Pit where metal hinges, lifts and separates by design (high dollar cooker leaking from a weld exception).

Shovel, real barbecue requires a shovel

But hey, what do I know?

Last edited:
Back