Ironside CDR

overeasy

Knows what a fatty is.
Well, the Slugger arrived last week and I've been busy seasoning and doing dry runs to see what it likes.
Temps with water and burning small splits have been remarkable. Hour over hour with less than a 10 degree spread.IMG_2443.jpg

Did the first cook yesterday. Brisket, Ribs and a Fatty, of course.
Small splits of oak seem to maintain my coal base better than larger pieces.
Starting my fires with a full chimney of charcoal then adding 2-3 splits on the dumped charcoal. Additional 2-3 splits every half hour or so.
As seen in photo there are 5 racks of ribs. The two smaller ones came from a small butcher shop in town that features meat coming from farms that naturally raise animals with no "bad stuff" added. I'm all for that but when we opened the package what we got were two slabs of ribs that had been trimmed so close they both had multiple shiners on them. Pretty disappointing. Not to mention, the Costco pack had three larger slabs with no shiners for 30.00 bucks
Theirs were 45.00! Ouch!!
Back to the CDR. I don't have any experience with other cabinet style cookers but this thing is so steady. The insulation that Pete and Jeff have built into the Slugger really does the trick.
My ambient temp yesterday was 37 degrees and it took an hour to get up two 250. Recovery times are short, again attributed to insulation for sure.
I'm looking forward to my next cook soon.

Cook times:
Fatty 1:45 hrs
Ribs 4:00 hrs
Brisket 10:00 hrs

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 226
Awesome cook and smoker, looks super! I'm interested to see more of what you do with the CDR, I'm liking the idea behind the Ironside. How was the airflow? Fast, slow, easily adjustable? Thanks.

After you toss you logs on the charcoal bed, hit the interior with a weed burner and it will reduce the time it takes to get up to temp to just a couple minutes instead of an hour.

There are two air inlets. I'm leaving them wide open as well as the chimney. Nice clean fire, and controlling temps with fire size and water. Seems to want to live right around middle to high 250's without much fuss. Didn't seem to care when I added meat either went right back up to temp in a few minutes

I'd like to see it run at 300 when you get a chance. Sounds like you have a winner there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would really like to see a cook done both ways on these.

Is it RF or standard flow? What makes cabinet design able to stick burn?

Really has my attention.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought other insulated cabinet builders recommended not burning sticks because it would damage the smoker. So what could get damaged? Metal and insulation come to mind as well as paint. Following this logic I would say thicker metal inside and better insulation.

After seeing the sticks he's using I'm thinking maybe they could work in a well built cabinet like a LSG.

If you look at the Ironside site it has, IIRC, a 2" insulated, removable heat diverter between the firebox and cook chamber to handle using wood.

I thought other insulated cabinet builders recommended not burning sticks because it would damage the smoker. So what could get damaged? Metal and insulation come to mind as well as paint. Following this logic I would say thicker metal inside and better insulation.

After seeing the sticks he's using I'm thinking maybe they could work in a well built cabinet like a LSG.

Hey guys, thanks for the interest interest in our smokers. Regarding What makes this unit different.. We reinforce the heck out of it to prevent warping around the firebox area (Bottom and sides are reinforced with extra tubing). Inside skin is 11 g steel. Heat shield shield sits ontop of the fb and is also reinforced to prevent warping. Other than that, we used direct flow instead of rf and include two air intakes to maximize airflow. It also gets a high temp powder coat finish. The cool touch compression latches are also a good fit. Regarding the size of the wood, I usually recommend splits the size of a forearm and 12-15” long. The cdr will run all day long on splits like that. 300 is probably even easier to maintain than 250. Hope that helps guys. Thanks again for all the interest!

Back