Introducing myself - King Coal and the Soul Smokers, Hawthorne NJ

RevChrisIVXX

Hello.

My name is Chris, and I am 'head cook' (i.e. I pay the dues) for King Coal and the Soul Smokers.

I/we are members of KCBS, NEBS, and MABBQ.

We got into this indirectly (no pun intended) - a fan of cooking shows, started watching Steve Reichlen's (sp) BBQ Univeristy, and got hooked.

We've been back-yarding it for fun for about 3-4 years now, and are starting to get into the competition thing.

We won our first (amateur/non-sanctioned) contest - 2011 Rockin' Ribs Cookoff in Greenwood Lake NY. We came in 2nd 2012, and 3rd 2013 (as that contest is drawing more & more 'pros').

We participated in our first KCBS contest - Que By The Sea, Seaside Heights NJ, 2013. Our goal was 'not last', and we did it. We are quite proud our pulled pork finished in the 20's - beating many 'professional' teams including local restaurants.

This year, we are skipping Seaside but doing 2 others - Hudson Valley Ribfest in New Paltz NY in August, and Red White & Que in Cresskill NJ in September.

I also organized my first (amatuer/non-sanctioned) contest in Hawthorne NJ last year - thanks to BBQ Mafia, Big Blue BBQ Crew, & Smokin Budz for coming out and making it a success.

I am happy to announce they are letting me have a 2nd contest this year - hopefully, they'll be willing to back a KCBS Sanctioned contest within 2-3 years.

We have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18", as well as a few Weber kettles. There is a Brinkman & some no-name smoker in the mix as well.

We are rank amateurs at this, more about fun than about making money. This is not a business for us, we just do it to not come in last & have fun doing it. We do need to get a bit more serious, and takign a Judging class as well as a presentation class or two. We can make fantastic food, we are still learning to make it pretty. We also suck at brisket, but are learning.

So, that's that. Who I am and why I'm here.

You can email me at hawthornebbqcontest@gmail.com. Our twitter handle is @bbq_nj. Find us on Facebook too - King Coal and the Soul Smokers

Please check out my posts about 'my' contest in Hawthorne NJ in September. Even better, please join my contest. Better still, help me promote the contest to get sponsors, more competitors, etc.

Welcome from Indiana!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Welcome! Looks like you are going full tilt with this hobby. Looks forward to your posts and maybe some pic's. ;D

Welcome to the Brethren - you're going to like this place!
Greenwood Lake is my stomping ground, on the Jersey side. I'm sure I'll run into you sometime this summer.

Back