THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, I have my first question for the stick burning experts. I've been running the cooker for about 6hrs. I've experimented with the dampers but the max I get from the main chamber has been around 200 degrees. Do I need to start with a larger coal bed? I used one chimney of briquettes and just added a split every 45mins or so. It's a pretty small fire and I've been lighting the new splits and chunks off the old ones.

Yeah sounds like not enough coal bed from the start. You need a lot of heat to heat all that metal and then let it settle into a temp and cruise.

I have a 24x60 and start with 1 full charcoal chimney and about 3 splits. I keep an eye on it and go from there. Some days that's plenty and it will get up to 300, some days i need to add more. It depends on the weather.

The coal bed is your cooking horsepower...or maybe torque is a better analogy. The main reason you're burning down logs in there is to feed the coal bed. That's where the heat comes from. Not only will a weak coal bed make it hard to get to the temps you're wanting, but can make it harder to light splits without smoldering when you add a new one.

I run my Shirley's air intake between 1/3 and 1/2 open...usually closer to the former. If it's particularly windy I might drop a little below 1/3 on the intake, but not to the point the fire chokes. Exhaust wide open all the time, and I manage temps based on size of fire/coal bed. I stack 4 splits in a square and dump a chimney full of charcoal in the middle to light mine.

People have other ways of starting them, such as weed burners or smaller kindling type splits. But the charcoal chimney method works for me. If I were cooking on it a couple times a week I'd probably opt for a different method since that'd require a fair amount of charcoal, but I dont so I dont.

This is what mine typically looks like when I'm humming along around 275* as a median temp. 3rd pic is about the time I add a split, generally...temp will have dropped to maybe 260* from 275* at this point. I use smaller diameter splits (beer can thickness) and feed every 20-30 minutes.

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 121
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 121
  • fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Looks even better with smoke out the stack!!

You are a lucky, and deserving man William!

Paul - You and Shirley Fab are a class act! Any chance you’re driving through California soon with awesome smoker in tow? :wink:

The coal bed is your cooking horsepower...or maybe torque is a better analogy. The main reason you're burning down logs in there is to feed the coal bed. That's where the heat comes from. Not only will a weak coal bed make it hard to get to the temps you're wanting, but can make it harder to light splits without smoldering when you add a new one.

I run my Shirley's air intake between 1/3 and 1/2 open...usually closer to the former. If it's particularly windy I might drop a little below 1/3 on the intake, but not to the point the fire chokes. Exhaust wide open all the time, and I manage temps based on size of fire/coal bed. I stack 4 splits in a square and dump a chimney full of charcoal in the middle to light mine.

People have other ways of starting them, such as weed burners or smaller kindling type splits. But the charcoal chimney method works for me. If I were cooking on it a couple times a week I'd probably opt for a different method since that'd require a fair amount of charcoal, but I dont so I dont.

This is what mine typically looks like when I'm humming along around 275* as a median temp. 3rd pic is about the time I add a split, generally...temp will have dropped to maybe 260* from 275* at this point. I use smaller diameter splits (beer can thickness) and feed every 20-30 minutes.
Oh yeah, your coal bed in the photo is much bigger than mine. I dont have a lot of split wood right now so I've been kind of stingy with the sticks.I have lots of chunks but they really burn up fast unless I pile them up and then I get dirty smoke. I think those chunks (Western bagged chunks) are on the "too dry" side. I did add 3 splits and pushed them closer to the baffle opening. I'm creeping up now around 210.

As I'm sure you're aware, you're fighting an uphill battle without regularly feeding it splits :thumb: procuring wood and having a stash with various stages of seasoning is part of the fun...or madness...of owning a stick burner :becky:

As I'm sure you're aware, you're fighting an uphill battle without regularly feeding it splits :thumb: procuring wood and having a stash with various stages of seasoning is part of the fun...or madness...of owning a stick burner :becky:
Sourcing wood wont be a problem for very long. I have a coworker who also does tree trimming and removal as a side job. He said he can bring me truckloads (if I toss him a pork butt occasionally which I think I can handle).Getting the cooker was my first priority.

Wrapped it up. It was a great day and I learned a few things. I'm really digging this cooker and can hardly wait to roll it out again for another cook. I did come to appreciate how heavy this cooker is. It rolls nice and smooth but if there is an incline and you've had a few beers (I wont confirm nor deny that) it will kick your ass. Plan accordingly. I love my Shirley. Thank you, Paul.

It is a stick burner, can't really run her on lump and chunks. To get mine started, I use 4 sticks and a pile of lump. Set two if the stick parallel to each other, lay out the lump in between and then the other 2 stick running parallel in the opposite direction, kinda log cabin fashion. Hit the lump with a weed burner until I get it started and let the fire grow with the firebox door open. I like to run her hot around 300 degrees, so I get a good fire going. Then it is a stick every 30 to 45 mins. She will purr from there. have fun

Back