THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarolinaQue

is One Chatty Farker
So, I have been lucky enough to have a fairly local family supplier of Humphrey charcoal here in Maine. Never knew they were up this way until i met them at a contest back in May. I bought a bag of lump from them last month at the Old Orchard contest and was so impressed I wanted to buy 4 more bags. As my luck would have it, they were temporarily out due to the 4th of July demand. All they had were briquets, so I decided to buy 4 bags of those.

My main reasons for buying so much at once, is because I am testing out some charcoal baskets in my efforts to get more sleep when I cook at comps. Mot wanting to commit to a pellet cooker and thinking that I can get the job done with out a guru, I have steeped out on a quest.

I also tested some Kosmos Beef Injection that I purchased from the KC BBQ Store online after brethren was nice enough to send me a gift card for there:wink:

The end result was very good IMO. Normally, I have found that briquets can leave a sooty or dirty taste ont he meat when I've tried the minion method before with charcoal like K-blue bag and the such. Not at all with this stuff. A very pleasant smell to the smoke and a very clean and long burn. As I was doing a 4 lb chuck roast, I let the temps climb a little higher than I normally would to render the fat out a little better. I think that really fatty cuts like a chuck roast takes the higher heat really well.

I had a pretty steady burn at around 320* for about 3 hours, and thent he temp climbed to about 355* for about 30 minutes and then dropped back to 320* and held steady for several more hours. As a matter of fact, I didn't use quite half a basket and was at 275* at the grate 8 hours later.

I closed all of the vents down once the temp reached 280*, and didn't adjust a thing the rest of the day. I attribute the spike in temps to a section of wood chips that must have caught fire temporarily.

The end result was a very tasty chuck roast turned into pulled beef for fajitas.

This is how the cook went:

Attachments

Never tried the briquettes but I've been using the lump for a couple months now, besides Wicked Good, I haven't found anything better. The price makes it a no brainer. Nice pron BTW! :thumb:

Back