Howdy from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BuddyHorn

Hi, I am BuddyHorn, AKA Mike.
I have lurked here for about a month. I stumbled upon the site while researching competition BBQ. I am a novice compared to many of the folks on here. I have always been the go to guy among friends and family for anything BBQ.

Its always been a hobby and a sense of pride for me to provide excellent Q for those I love, and some I don't know. Lately, my father has gotten into it. In 2010, Dad was diagnosed with Cancer. After the bad news, I realized and I think he did too, that we needed to bond a little more as men and family. Well, my father who has never done more than burgers or lemon pepper chicken on a gas grill started to show interest in my hobby. This has taken my hobby to another level. Our "man time" has been great for us. It has also led my dad to start to nudge me to take it much more serious.

He has urged me to market my sauces, rubs, brines and my grill to other folks. I have always just given my goods away, but dad thinks I can make a business out of the hobby. Who knows, we are just in the preliminary stages.

For now, we are looking to compete in some local competitions in and around DFW. Spend time together and see where our hobby takes us. I will be reading anything and everything related to the comps as they are very intimidating from where I sit right now.

I look forward to learning from the site, maybe there are things I can contribute. I am impressed by the fellowship that is evident in these halls.

Welcome to the Brethren. This is a great place. I went to school at NTSU and lived in Denton a few years after that. I miss TX.

I will be 34 in Feb. I am going back to school in the fall. I am enrolling at UNT(formerly NTSU)

Get back to Texas as soon as you can. I know I did. :grin:

I will be 34 in Feb. I am going back to school in the fall. I am enrolling at UNT(formerly NTSU)

Get back to Texas as soon as you can. I know I did. :grin:

Great. Blessings on your studies.

I would love to be back in TX, but as a Pastor, I serve where the Lord sends me. Prayers that He sends me back would be appreciated :)

I have a buddy going to UNT now - about your age, I think. Working on his Masters. Adam Lundin. I'm sure you know him. LOL

Welcome from SoCal! I used to live in Austin - came there from Tennessee and was surprised that cows could get 'cued too! They say Virginia is the mother of Texas & don't know who the father is, but they always kinda suspected Tennessee. Glad to have you aboard. Sorry to hear about your dad - but news like that kinda puts what's important in sharp focus, doesn't it?

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Thoughts and prayers go out to your family and a quick recovery for your Dad.

Thanks guys. Dad is doing well. He had successful surgery in the summer. He is supposed to be done with chemo at the end of March. The doctors tell us he should be cancer free. So while this whole thing has been less than ideal, and very scary. We feel very blessed. I know things could have been much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back