THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Those of you using Fireboard, Thermoworks etc, are you running your wires under the door and hoping that the wires don’t get damaged or are you drilling your pits?

For the crowd that drills:

1. Is there a best spot to drill the hole on a standard pipe smoker?
2. Do you drill 1 hole per probe or run a few probes through 1 hole?
3. Is there standard hardware to fit into the hole to close off the hole when probes arent being used?
4. What is the appropriate drill bit etc.. to drill 1/4” steel?

Thanks!!!

I run my thermopro under the door and hope it doesnt get damaged. However I am going to add lava lock gaskets so I think that should help. So far have closed them in the door about a dozen times and no problems yet :-D

I go under the door and close the doors gently. I've thought about drilling ports but I think it would be a pain when you need to slide the racks out.

Due to LSG's highly accurate fabrication of the door seal I had them add another threaded nipple on the far end (away from firebox) of the pit. When not in use I just screw a threaded plug in place loosely.

If I was going to drill I'd prefer to use one hole for all wires.... likely about 1/2" dia. and accomplish this thru a series of increasing hole sizes. Start with 1/8" pilot hole and work up in 1/8" increments. Be sure to use some lubricating oil and a standard twist bit. Brad point bits and Forstner bits need not apply.

To seal things off when not in use I've used a regular cork with great success - cheap and easy to replace if needed. I've also drilled holes for the wires in a spare cork to use when smoking but that was for only one wire - not sure multiple wires or curved probes would work.

1/2" hole is fine. The fireboard probes are big on one end, and also curved. Don't size your hole using that, because it would have to be huge to stick multiple probes through it. Go the other direction and stick the plug through the hole instead of the probe...they are straight and much smaller that the probe.

I drilled through the exhaust end and added an electrical service entrance water tight connector. Most electrical supply stores have them for about $15 (see picture below). Start with a small pilot hole then go up to your required finish size or use a step bit. Like Sleeb said, pass the plug through first from the CC. Because of cable length and CC size it might be better to go through the front just below the grate. My CC is 40" and the end entrance point works well.
iu

Under the lid, under the gasket, or down the vent.
All depends on what I'm using.
If one of my MES units, usually just let the gasket of the door flex over the lead(s). But on the MES 40, down the vent hole.
On my Barby's, basically under the lid. Both the UDS and the gasser have plenty of open spaces to accommodate the leads.

I never worry about sealing any of my smokers or Barby's. If it stops smoking, it's time add wood, and to check out why. :wink:
Too many folks tend to overthink things. :rolleyes:

I ordered my 20x42 LSG with 2 temp ports, one for each rack. I put a little steel wool in the 1/2 hole after inserting the probe and wire to limit any leakage

I don’t run probes in an offset because I do Not run meat probes.
I will run pit temp probe in a charcoal smoker but in offset I’m adding wood every 45 minutes anyway and the temps are bouncing 50° in a temp range so the pit probe would be useless.

When I restored my New Braunfels I bought a silicone thermometer grommet for a WSM. I used a hole saw on the side opposite the firebox. It looks and works good.

When I built my current offset, I simply drilled (3) 1/4" holes spaced evenly - left, center, and right - along the back side of the cooking chamber. I run my probes thru one or more of the holes depending on the need for that particular cook. I use simple 1/4" stainless bolts, washers, and nuts to plug up the unused holes. I then connect the probes to the controller / transmitter and place that on the shelf that's also located on the backside of the cooking chamber. Keeps the wires out of the way of the door altogether and works well for me. My offset is 1/4" steel, and I just used a good 1/4" twist drill for the holes.

My Gator Pit has plugs welded and tapped in the sides about 3" above the bottom racks on each side that I use and love.

gator-plugs.jpg

Back