Homemade Corned Beef - Recipe?

3LMBBQ

Anyone have a recipe they really like? Was going to go with Meatheads but wanted to see if anyone else has a go-to, no fail. :) TIA

I use one from Tim's Food Obsession and it always comes out great. Easier than a wet brine also. It's basically 0.25% cure #1, 2.5% salt and 1.75% pickling spice rubbed and put in a bag for 14 days.

Here is the corning brine I developed using "Pop's Brine" by adding the 'corned' flavor profile through the use of beer and aromatics. The timeline is 15 days. If you are comfortable using phosphates, let me know and I can hook you up with that technique. BTW this also works for corning a pork butt or making Porkstrami.

==
~thirdeye's~ Corning Brine - based on Pop's Brine

A corning brine is so named because "corns" of salt describe the size of the salt crystals which were originally used by the British when making it. My version of a corning brine brings a lot more flavor to the meat because of the many aromatics I use during the curing process. Instead of adding a few 'pickling spices' when cooking corned beef, I use spices and some beer when curing my corned beef. So I get 14 days of flavor when making corned beef.

Because I like Pop's Brine so well I designed my corning brine around his curing brine. The salt and sugar amounts have been adjusted to compensate for the aromatics and spices. Here is how I do it...

For use on Brisket, Round Roast, Chuck Roast, Pork Butt in order to make Corned Beef, Corned Pork, Pastrami and Porkstrami.

112 ounces of water

16 ounces of beer

80g canning salt (Kosher is okay too)

30g white sugar

3 tablespoons pickling spice

1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds

1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds

1 tablespoon coriander seeds

6 bay leaves

1 tablespoon Old Bay

1 tablespoon crushed garlic

1 tablespoon crushed ginger

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cloves

22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down) (note 2: the amount of Cure #1 is 22 grams due to the large amount of aromatics used)

Step 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight.

Step 2 – On day 2, add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Inject the brine into the meat. Then add the meat into the chilled covering brine, and cure for 13 to 15 days, agitating the liquid daily. I prefer using a 2.5 gallon zipper bag, in a plastic bucket. Using the bucket handle, I spin the bucket 90° for about 30 seconds to agitate the liquid.

Step 3 - Remove meat from brine.... rinse well and soak about an hour or so in cold water. Pat the meat dry. Use your preferred cooking method and recipe for corned beef.

Back