THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Finally got atround to checking the stock thermometer. When my OJB therm is directly on 250ish my Inkbird thru a potato with tip fully exposed reads 282. That’s exhaust wide open and intake 1.5-2. I did a clean out/cleanup this morning and the little grease trap hole was almost full. Something to watch. I have not hung anything as yet. I’ve tried lump and briquettes and satisfied with both. I don’t do those crazy long cooks that others enjoy. I’m 3 hours in using the on sale 4.98 for 16# Lowe’s Ridge Briquettes featuring made with oak/hickory with no additional wood of any type. I’m going to let it burn out(no shut down and will get an idea how long it will go.
I used two Rutland wafers to start about an 80% full basket with the Ridge. No nasty smoke, pleasant aroma. I can’t address longevity nor ash-but the way the OJB is configured ash shouldn’t ever be a problem with the drop thru pan.

Again, thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
Going to go ride my bike and contemplating buying 4 more bags.

Last Update on Thermometer check
Factory therm 250
Inkbird reading 270

I’m actually pleased with these numbers

I just did a cook on the Bronco yesterday using this charcoal. It went great and the ribs tasted fantastic. I only bought one bag but plan on going back to get a couple more.

Attachments

• 20200829_174037.jpg
    20200829_174037.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200829_140356.jpg
    20200829_140356.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200829_175547.jpg
    20200829_175547.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 172
I experienced the same thing with the stock thermometer. Definitely not accurate and the hotter the cooker gets the more it’s off.
I haven’t seen that brand of charcoal here. My last cook I had a mixture of Royal Oak briqs and Royal Oak lump. I’m not a fan of the cheap royal oak briquettes but may try the All Natural stuff. However, I really liked mixing in the lump. Only thing I had to do different was shut the intake a tad more than with all briquettes.
I agree with what you said about ash. Ash will never be a problem unless you cook about 5 full baskets of coal and never empty the ash pan. :becky:

Regular $7.98 on sale $4.98 plus additional Lowe’s Veterans discount if eligible.

Last edited:
Lowes also has two 20# KBB @ $16.88 if that’s your thing. I’ve seen different sales on different brands but nothing like the years past, yet

Back