THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When cooking fat-cap up after wrapping, that puts the point up. How do you probe the thickest part of the flat? Do you just flip it over and probe it, or just sneak it in at the end of the point?

Well I've never cooked with an Egg before but looking at Bludawg's instructions on cooking with a UDS I'd say the answer to your question would be no,... I'd probably do it the same way, with no diffuser.:wink:

I would beg to differ

In a Kamado, the fire is real close to the meat, that's why we use diffusers.

On the UDS, the fire is well away compared to a Kamado

I use one on long cooks on my Akorn. I don't have a BGE so I cannot say for sure, but usually use a diffuser for about everything except chicken, steaks, burgers etc

When cooking fat-cap up after wrapping, that puts the point up. How do you probe the thickest part of the flat? Do you just flip it over and probe it, or just sneak it in at the end of the point?

You can hit any part by probing through the side. You get more meat to push the probe through from the side as well.

No just look at the brisket and remember where the thickest part is in relation to the overall length and go straight in from the top when it's time. Don't over think it, in fact don't think. All BBQ is as simple as baking a cake from granny's recipe the problems arise when Aunt Martha and cousin Inez decide to help. Then it's time to get out the wooden spoon and turn up the radio.

Back