Head Country Original BBQ Sauce

FLHX

Knows what a fatty is.
Head Country has been my go to commercial BBQ sauce for years. Just got a couple of bottles and it appears something has changed. It's very runny and watery. More like a mop sauce. Thought it might have just been a bad batch, but I mentioned it to a buddy of mine that uses it too. he said he bought a bottle last month and same thing...runny. Anyone else that uses it noticed this?

Yep they changed it. IMHO they took a great sauce and just ruined it. They first changed it a few years back when they sold to new owners and at that time it lost some of it original characteristics in the form of taste and thickness of sauce. Recently they announced another sale and it seemed to coincide with the new, more runny and less flavorful sauce you describe.

It's kind of like New Coke. The question is, will the new owners be smart enough to recognize the error of their ways? The changes alienate the strong customer base and word of mouth advertising through recommendations. I can't believe the sauce in it's new form will be a big draw for new customers. I predict a lot of folks switching to Sweet Baby Ray's which was inferior to the original Head Country, but far superior to the current HC offering.

Robert

Seems to me if the sauce is now runny and has less flavor, the new "owners" are trying to reduce production costs, probably hoping no one will notice. These kinds of cost saving measures and corner cutting to increase profits only reap short term benefits before the word gets out and their loyal base of customers go elsewhere. Over the years, I've seen numerous brands run into the ground when new ownership takes over in situations like this. Very sad...

I did try Head Country spicy some years back, and found it to be an excellent sauce. Wish I had stocked up!

I've never tried Head Country but I've had other brands that changed their formula. You don't see the chicken folks meddling with their 11 herbs and spices. It's not a good idea to change a recipe that made you so popular. Sorry to hear this.

I've not seen any diff in Head Country, in any of their different versions. Apple Habernero, Spicy Hot ........ same old Head Country.

Unless the folks at Head Country signed a non-compete clause, they may just re-enter the market with their original version under a different name, of course.

Back