Hatch Green Chile may be coming to a store near you...

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Greg
I posted this on another thread, but it was buried on the 3rd page, so I thought I'd put it up here.

Melissa's, a company that distributes Hatch chile, facilitates chile roasting events at participating grocery stores in many states.

On the set day, you can select your chile, they will roast and bag it for you, then you take home to peel & freeze.

http://www.melissas.com/Articles.asp?ID=4172

Good luck!

Thanks! I was looking for this years schedule. August 27th, I'll have some fresh hatch!

Cool... We get guys in pick-up trucks loaded with Hatch chile, they set up in parking lots with their barrel roasters. Usually charge about a buck a pound for small amounts and around $40.00 for a bushel bag 55 to 60 pounds. Not sure if that's a good price or not. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Hatch NM. We can get Willcox Az. green chiles cheaper and frankly I can't tell the difference, not much difference in climate, altitude and growing conditions. Love fresh roasted green chile.

Up in Illinois, I paid I think $2.29/lb. last year. Daughter in Scottsdale picked some up for $1.19/lb. last year.

Up in Illinois, I paid I think $2.29/lb. last year. Daughter in Scottsdale picked some up for $1.19/lb. last year.

What we save on the cost of chile we more than make up for it in wood cost. I would gladly spend double for chile to save on wood.

This is falling right around the same time as the SoCal Brethren Bash...

CxKAL.gif

Back