Hanging Ribs PBC/UDS style question

TropicDad

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Andy
3rd cook on my pbc I had 1 rack of St. Louis ribs hanging by the hooks, I double hooked about 2 bones down. When I went to take them off they fell off the hooks into the charcoal. :tsk: I wasn't happy.

I have 4 racks to do tomorrow but am a bit nervous about using the pbc but since my RecTec is out of service and I don't have the wood for the Lang I'm stuck. How do you keep the ribs on the hooks? I was thinking of pulling them after a few hours and putting them in the oven to finish.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I always hook on the thicker side of the slab, whether doing STL's or BB's. I'll also trim off any shiners or split bones on either end. I only ever use a single hook and I have yet to lose a rack.

I saw one guy double hook ribs

|
| <--- Second hook though top of first hook about 2 bones down. This one
| will hang from the rod
|
|
| <--- First hook placed so (hook that hangs from bar) will sit 2 bones
| down
|
|
|
|
|
| <--- RIBS
|

I don't think I was on the thick side will do this time.

I like that double hook idea too.

First thing is to remember that the PBC cooks way faster than most other smokers and there is a learning curve. I lost one rack falling "falling off the bones" into the coals on my first cook because I could not believe they were done at 3.5 hours.

Since then I have also left the membrane on the ribs as extra insurance. No more losses since the first cook a year ago, and I use one hook going into the thick end past two bones.

Another thing to note is if your ribs fall of the hooks, it means they are fall-off-the-bone tender. Need to keep any eye on them and pull prior to that. I recently had a cook where I went a bit long and as I was removing the rack, they started to split but I was able to catch them before they dropped in the fire. Having a pair of tongs in hand when removing the ribs can be helpful if you think there is a chance they are over cooked.

Best of luck on your next cook!

P.S. Another option if your're only cooking a few racks and you like your ribs very tender is to cut the racks in half before placing them on the rebar.

Like mentioned, thick end
What he said

3VrMJQf.jpg

hGYWmg0.jpg

I usually hook 3 bones down for insurance. you may get the top rib just barely touching the rebar, but it usually flops over a bit.

Hanging ribs do not obey normal physics- because "magic".

I'm more interested in not having my meat drop into the fire due to a slight miscalculation on cooking time than adhering to a theory of "thick end toward heat".
TBH- I'd rather have ribs flat on a grate than hanging- easier to handle, easier to check for doneness, easier to sauce (if you are into that). Using a rib rack would be my second choice - and coming in 3rd... hanging.

I lost a rack the first time I cooked on my PBC, and ever since I go three bones down. The top flops over, but they've always cooked fine.

I lost a rack the first time I cooked on my PBC, and ever since I go three bones down. The top flops over, but they've always cooked fine.

Thicker end and three bones down myself also. The flopping doesn't hurt nothing.

Ok ribs on, 3rd bone of fat end. Looking good. Its raining like crazy but thats why I have an ezup, never quit!

Attachments

• 20170930_140645.jpg
    20170930_140645.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 76
Back