THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bschoen

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Within 8 miles from me and $50 apart from each other are three LPG 36" 4-burner griddles.

Lowes Blue Rhino Razor

Home Depot Blackstone

Academy Sports Outdoor Gourmet

All of them are about $300.

Will be used and left outdoors in central Georgia. Is it even possible to keep the cook surface from rusting, no matter how thorough the seasoning? I am leaning towards the Blue Rhino because the two side shelves fold over to make a hard cover.

Given the 3, which one and why?

TIA.

I've loved my Blackstone, and I bought the hard cover for it from Blackstone. It's kept the surface in good shape, so much so that I don't even use my soft cover anymore.

I especially like the rear grease drainage on the new Blackstones.

I can't speak to the others, but if the hard cover is your main point in leaning towards Blue Rhino, you might take a look at the cover offered by Blackstone.

I got my BS 36 on Amazon for ~$250 and the hard cover was about $80 additional. I have the soft cover as well.
Mine lives in the garage, so I can't say how it is for rust. So far, mine's doing great. Love the thing.

I think Lastmajordude has the Blue Rhino and is very happy it.

I bought my blue rhino 36” for $250 at christmas. I can honestly say it is the best 250 purchase of my life. I like the drip hole and catcher in the front. I also like the fact it has folding cover. Whatever you get I hope you enjoy/use it as much as I have.......Just the fact the grease and smoke stay outside and no stove cleaning is worth whatever you pay.......good luck!!!!!!!

To add to the confusion, I just sold my 2 Blackstones and replaced them w/ the huge 6 burner Camp Chef FTG900. I absolutely love griddle cooking. I know this doesn’t at all answer your question, but I really don’t think you can go wrong here. Each ones a bit different, and one will probably meet your needs/likes a bit better than the rest. For me, it was the Camp Chef that checked off the majority of boxes as to what I was looking for in a griddle. Do your homework, which it sounds like you are well underway with already and then pick the one that checks off the most boxes on your list :)

To add to the confusion, I just sold my 2 Blackstones and replaced them w/ the huge 6 burner Camp Chef FTG900. I absolutely love griddle cooking. I know this doesn’t at all answer your question, but I really don’t think you can go wrong here. Each ones a bit different, and one will probably meet your needs/likes a bit better than the rest. For me, it was the Camp Chef that checked off the majority of boxes as to what I was looking for in a griddle. Do your homework, which it sounds like you are well underway with already and then pick the one that checks off the most boxes on your list :)

I actually was going to buy the Camp Chef griddle when I bought my Blackstone, but it was out of stock everywhere. I had no idea how long it would be to get back in stock, so I went with the Blackstone.

You're right, though. There aren't any bad choices among the big names.

Adding to my confusion is akin to adding one to infinity.

Thanks guys!

Just pick something and get to cookin’ buddy! HURRY time is slipping away ;-)

A couple of recent super simple dinners knocked out on the griddle to raves reviews....

Burger night:
f1fd1e59b5e23b0e9e26397dc9cff731.jpg

Low carb Philly cheesesteak night:
f51bacf1cae0f0e2ece5c43df7e30850.jpg
32b76ec1ff5fda64648f4665a6a4546d.jpg

8940797f38a9109c0e07999f7c325cd4.jpg

I actually was going to buy the Camp Chef griddle when I bought my Blackstone, but it was out of stock everywhere. I had no idea how long it would be to get back in stock, so I went with the Blackstone.

You're right, though. There aren't any bad choices among the big names.

I also went with the Camp Chef. I chose it because I liked the stand better and if I want I can pull the griddle top off and use it as a gas grill.

KhtTuhL.jpg

I was able to get mine for $299 and free shipping.

I have owned several griddles including Blackstone, Camp Chef and restaurant quality with a 1/2" thick stainless steel top. All have lived outside under my covered cooking area here in Raleigh, NC. All will rust and need attention and care to minimise the surface rust. I think a hard cover helps the most but won't be entirely rust proof.

Hope this helps.

Back