THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
Been considering replacing my gasser with a Pellet Pro 1190. My biggest use of the gasser has been using it as a griddle with my Little Griddle GQ230 attachment. wondering if anybody had tried using a griddle attachment on their pellet grill. I spoke to Dennis at smoke daddy and he said he had never tried it but could not see why it would not work. I bo not have space I want to dedicate to having a seperate pellet grill so I would need to sell the gasser. Another option is to buy one of Smoke Daddy's UDS pellet hopper conversions and install it on my Trail Embers drum smoker and keep the gasser. If I was to buy the hopper conversion I would install it in a spacer ring so I could still use the trail Embers as a regular charcoal smoker if I desired. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I regularly flip my Grill Grates over and use as a griddle for my pellet grills. Works perfectly. All you need it enough heat in the grill to get the griddle to proper searing temps.

Thanks guys, I have a griddle attachment that I use with my gasser and it works very well. I am really wondering how well a griddle attachment works on a pellet grill. My gasser has four burners so I can have different heating zones when cooking or can heat the whole griddle if needed. A pellet grill only has the one firepot so I would think it would be hotter in the center over the pot than the sides but I do not know as I have never cooked on a pellet pooper.

The issue with pellet cookers is that the heat distribution is poor. Rather than multiple burners there is a single firepot. The heat diffuser can only do so much. Only a small portion could be used for the griddle and it won't heat evenly.

The issue with pellet cookers is that the heat distribution is poor. Rather than multiple burners there is a single firepot. The heat diffuser can only do so much. Only a small portion could be used for the griddle and it won't heat evenly.

Kind of what I was thinking also. Time to rethink this.
Thanks

Was researching Pellet Pro grills and ran across this video where they use their searing station along with a add on griddle. Looks like it works well. The griddle I have should do better because it is cross braced to prevent warping. I might be giving Smoke Daddy a call tomorrow.
Little griddle GQ230
Little griddle.jpg
Searing station
searing station.jpg
Tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtlxrQP_QY

It appears that the Smoke Daddy 1190 will work well. You just can't go from smoking to searing without taking things apart. If you want to sear ... you need to start oit that way. Don't know if that's an issue or not. I have also been looking at the 1190 for smoking. Don't really care about the searing as I will fire up my wener kettle as necessary. I will also sous vide steaks then finish up a sear on the kettle.

I'd keep the gasser and get the 1190.

Again … there may be only one firepot (depending on model, but most only have one) but if you get the entire chamber up to high heat the griddle will work just fine just like my grill grates do.

To your point about one fire source versus multiple burners providing direct heat to the griddle: You just said you had multiple cooking temperature capabilities... you will have the same to some extent with a pellet cooker in that the middle over the firepot will be the hottest and the perimeter will be the coolest, but steel/aluminum do a great job conducting heat so the difference will be small once the griddle has come to temp, and will also vary based on how much the auger is feeding the firepot.

Was researching Pellet Pro grills and ran across this video where they use their searing station along with a add on griddle. Looks like it works well. The griddle I have should do better because it is cross braced to prevent warping. I might be giving Smoke Daddy a call tomorrow.

Searing station
View attachment 178887
Tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtlxrQP_QY

That looks pretty good actually. Much better than the Pit Boss flame broil function. I've seen a similar design on some very expensive pellet burners, with ceramic briquettes rather than lava rock.

I got that griddle hack for xmas and used it for the first time Saturday to make some smash burgers. Fits easily into my GMG DB (though I do need to work on the leveling part to make sure the grease runs out easily). Worked great. Put the grill temp at 325 and the surface of the griddle was VERY hot. Cooked my burgers in about 5 min tops. Looking forward to trying out some other stuff soon.

Back