Gordon Ramsay "American Road Trip" TV

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
Gordon Ramsay debuted a new "American Road Trip" TV show tonight featuring him and two of his friends traveling through the west part of North America having adventures, eating, and goofing off.

I enjoyed some of the show despite its pathetic attempts at humor, until the very last stop at end. While touring through my home state of Texas dressed as crazed cowboys, they had to attend a Rodeo and somehow manage to cook for the real cowboys on what looked to be a large Klose trailer model offset with a vertical chamber.

Ramsay pulls out a small roughly 12 pound trimmed and seasoned brisket along with two racks of ribs. Guess where he puts the wood? Under the main cooking chamber grate!!!!! While talking about the benefits of Post Oak, he's not even shoving splits in the cook chamber but twigs!!!! I can't believe he didn't use the smoker's firebox. Later corn goes in the vertical chamber and some sausages appear, but Gordon never is shown tending a fire, just shots of the three friends watching the rodeo.

Through either the magic of TV or Devine intervention, the one small brisket is perfectly cooked along with the two racks of ribs, and he has enough food to feed the entire crowd!

Why am I surprised......

I dont think thats any different to any show with a celebrity.
They just use them as a draw card.

Well that's how it goes. Like you said they were goofing off. The show is made for the European market and edited by people who know nothing about BBQ so they are showing all the wrong bits. Ramsay, while a serious chef in his own right can still "chef" most people under the table but from what you say, looks like they take a bit of poetic licence and also didn't have any expert consultants along with them.

We (as consultants) rip into just about every BBQ show we see yet it will be very popular in the UK and Europe and make a lot of advertising revenue... which is all Gordon cares about these days!

Cheers!

Not sure I will get into this one- thanks for the heads up.

I know reality shows are what they are- but I was always sort of amazed the during the Hell's Kitchen series that the lights never went off and came backup to show Gordon face down with at least 2 knives in his back. Those cooks had to have had some really thick skins- or some really good drugs... his curse rants were epic.

Tried, but couldn’t
Google the cost of the RV

Continued Hill Street Blues binge

I too did start watching it and then it became something on in the background. It seemed at least to me in spots very passive aggressive slams on Americans. I did however see the part you were talking about and quickly pointed it out to the wife. He sure became a master pitmaster in a hurry :laugh: I do believe though that he does know his stuff in the kitchen and has become a marketing genius.

The Earth Roamer was the best part of the show.
Bunch of wankers, changed the channel.

Earth Roamers are legit! I almost had myself convinced that I needed a Unimog with a camper attached to the back for a little while. Then I found a love of barbecue and Land Cruisers and no longer had to worry about what to do with excess money :mrgreen:

I watched just for the segment on Snows. Disappointing how short the piece on Snows was and turned it off right after.

Ramsey's Masterclass is fantastic. A completely different side of him (probably the real side) where he's almost childishly enthusiastic about food and technique. I was impressed. BUT I don't need to see him climbing mountainsides, screaming at people, or faking bbq. no thanks!

It was funny for the first ten minutes, but wandered aimlessly. That fois gras burger with lobster? An abomination. It should be illegal to do that to the venerable cheeseburger. The only way that elevated anything was the height of the damn thing.

Fresh frozen BWAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!! Love him as a TV personality he makes me laugh. I' am sure he can Chef with the best of em and I' am sure he paid his dues prepping.

Sounds like I'm in the same boat. She had it on and I watched the intro, then went to cook dinner and she changed channels. An hour later she flipped back and I saw them crash into the RV, I cursed the absurdity, and walked away again. Many "you'll love this!" declares from the room and I finally check back to see what was mentioned in the first post and him avoiding the firepit, and I tuned out for good.

I generally don't mind him, or his shows. I enjoy most anything cooking related, and even his absurd shows are generally good for me to pick up a thing or two, even if it's just a plating idea or knowing when something is properly cooked. I don't need to see people just randomly having fun though. Not this year, when so much fun hasn't been allowed.

Ramsey's Masterclass is fantastic. A completely different side of him (probably the real side) where he's almost childishly enthusiastic about food and technique. I was impressed. BUT I don't need to see him climbing mountainsides, screaming at people, or faking bbq. no thanks!

This is the thing. Ramsay is extremely astute. When he's doing his own thing he is polite and knowledgeable and a completely different guy... and this is him.

When he's following "scripting" he's being a jackass and an arsehole but in general that is the way "smacktalking" competitive shows go in the US.. Even if they are supposed to be light hearted. He get's ratings. He get's paid.

Not to say he has not ballsed out plenty of commie chefs in his day but he learnt his trade from Marco Pierre White.

Take a look at this book which was made many years ago about Marco, with the photograper Bob Clarke in the kitchen for the duration while this book was being put together: WHITE HEAT

Take a look at this picture of the poor commie chef working for Marco at the time who complained about the heat in the kitchen and could he please have some air conditioning. Marco gave him some.

3fe7e8f9-c628-43fc-b0ad-8868b8e7e11a-1503x2040.jpg

A young Gordon Ramsay

:shock:

Back