THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skidkid

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
John
So I am going to ask a noob question relative to smokers. IF you use a wireless thermometer system how do you get the probes in/out of the chamber? For something just measuring the ambient, near the grill, I get that can just screw into the fitting. To measure the meat's temp you need a probe.

I get that there is a 1/2" NPT fitting but the thermocouple wire is obviously smaller. Do you use a compression fitting screwed into that with a silicon stopper to seal around the wire?

OR, do you just take it in the vent? Or under the edge of the lid and ignore the minor air leak?

Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

Depends on the smoker, I’ve gone through exhaust (Hunsaker drums), under lids (kamados, kettles, WSM’s, pellet grills) or through dedicated probe ports (WSM with grommet, stick burner). Never had any issue with them under lids.

Last edited:
Depends on the smoker, I’ve gone through exhaust (Hunsaker drums), under lids (kamados, kettles, WSM’s, pellet grills) or through dedicated probe ports (WSM with grommet, stick burner). Never had any issue with them under kids.
Thank you. I have always put it under the lid on my Weber but wasn't sure how it was done in other cookers.

Depending on what you have you can pop a hole in it. I did through the door of my WSM. 1st ordered a silicone grommet and tapered plug. Then drilled to grommet size. The plug is soft so it seals well.

Last edited:
These Probe grommets come on new Weber Smokey mountain cookers.

204781066-711001-14-in-smokey-mountain-cooker-smoker-in-black-with-cover-and-built-i-i-10-4-2020.jpg

I bought knockoffs from amazon and put them on my two old WSM cookers and my pit boss. I really like them.

Here is a link. IMPRESA 2 Pack Thermometer and Probe Grommet for Grills - Compatible with Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers and More - Compare to Replacement 85037 Products https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC4TYQ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b955EbE5QKE06

If you get the grommets you will need a large step drill to make the 1-1/4” hole for the grommet. Here is a link to the drill I used. Neiko 10194A Titanium Step Drill Bit, High Speed Steel | 1/4 to 1-3/8 | Total 10 Step Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FZ2UOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Qf65EbZC9VAD5

Back