General Tso's Chicken

Parts 2 and 3!

Egg Foo Young and Beef with Everything :wink:

First up, the Egg Foo Young. I scrambled 8 eggs, added the veggies along with some Oyster Sauce and Soy Sauce which provides that distinctive flavor. A tsp or so of oil in the Wok, then a small ladle of egg mixture. Let it set up, flip, pray that it browned nicely (it did) and repeat eight more times.

The first ladle full, prior to being swirled around to even things out -

and after it's flipped -

Repeat and stack, then inside to keep them as warm as possible. I had a really nice fire going, had to move the Keg grate to its highest setting and close the bottom vent almost completely to control the Wok temp. And I had to keep reminding myself to not grab the Wok handles with my bare hand. Fortunately, I was successful in remembering to use a pot holder during this entire cook.

Some more stacked -

I asked the Mrs to taste test them to make sure they met with her approval, all was good. Whew!

On to the Beef Stir Fry with Everything

Grilling the first batch of beef -

Remove it, then on go the denser veggies, carrots first -

Followed by the broccoli -

I won't bore you with pics of the individual veggies, but at the end it's pretty much a free for all. Carrots, broccoli, red pepper, baby corn, water chestnuts, Baby Bok Choi, snow peapods. green onion. Along with some grated garlic, grated ginger and the sauce which was the same as I used yesterday for the General Tso's.

Everybody back into the Wok for the final stir and heating -

It was getting a bit difficult to stir, but I managed.

Back inside the house, ready to serve. I'll be the first to admit it sure does look pretty -

Beef Stir Fry with Everything, General Tso's Chicken and Egg Foo Young served with white rice -

The plated pictures aren't doing it justice, but the Mrs and I can verify it was quite good! A ton of work, especially with only one Wok and having to make sure everything I needed was outside with me.

Plus we have a ton of leftovers!

That's it. Thanks for checking out Dom's adventure into Chinese cuisine out on the Bubba Keg! This was absolutely a fun cook!!

Regards,
-lunchman

For the Egg Foo Young traditionalists out there (I'm one), I made up a gravy for it this morning. What I've always thought was a high calorie addition to Egg Foo Young turns out not to be.

Water (or chicken stock)
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Corn Flour (I substituted a mix of AP Flour and Cornstarch)
Sugar
Pepper

It tasted pretty decent, will be used on the leftover Egg Foo Young.

-lunchman

In looking through her YouTube channel, Mandy does have a sweet and sour pork ribs recipe -

https://youtu.be/iqyBNjorCb0

Not sure if that will fit the bill and I've not made it. Again, this features Chinese Black Vinegar which my supermarket doesn't seem to carry. Perhaps amazon or a Chinese grocery store would have it.

I'd search through YouTube channels for recipes that you could try.

Hi Sorry I'm been there already.
Thanks DanB

Man looks fantastic, nice job.

There is a Chinese restaurant here and it is the only one I goto. The original owner was a master chef and he made the best General Chicken, just like your picture. He winded up expanding all up and down the coast here with several restaurants, but he sold the one here but sold them the menu and recipes and name to continue to use. Still pretty good, but not like the old days. I have had General Chicken at a few other places and it is a joke.

Back