THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hit on a Hobart 1612 slicer almost two years ago on CL. $150 driveout. The gauge plate was stuck (common problem among a lot of older slicers) Judicious use of a propane torch and dead blow hammer got it loosened up. It's been a workhorse for the last 2 years, with me doing at least a 100 pounds of bacon a month. It even came with the original sharpener.

Nice score. I got my 1612 about 4 years ago for $100 but the centrifugal switch was bad. I had to buy an electronic switch for $49 on ebay and replaced the big capacitor just incase for $5 on ebay. The windings were like brand new so all in all it ended up costing me $155 for a barely used Hobart 1612.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
BTW, there are other good brands out there as well. Globe is the first that comes to mind.

Someone already mentioned that you should look for a slicer with a sharpener. Something else to consider is blade size. Even with Hobart, Berkel and Globe, the size can vary from 8 inches to 12. If you are doing your own bacon and want full slices, I'd go with a 12.

• Thanks
I can't be of any help with the slicer. Just stopped by to say have fun at the bash! :becky:

• Thanks
I agree that Hobart or Berkel are both great. Make sure it's complete, and the sharpener is on there.

This^

I found an old berkel on CL but it was missing the sharpener. I didn't know it at the time, as I hadn't done any research, but saw a berkel for a hundo and jumped on it. Turns out the blade was bent in a couple places and it had a few other issues as well. I found a guy who would sharpen it for me, so I did that and used it for about 6 months and still hated it the whole time. Just never worked right. Sold it for a $100 and got another one from OIFmarine that he had got for scrap at his shop WITH the sharpener still on it.

Bottom line, be patient. I've used both berkel and hobart, you won't be unhappy with either one, BUT don't compromise on the condition. Make sure it sits flat, cuts true, and has its parts. Replacement parts are available, but they're pricey. You could end up spending more on parts than on the slicer.

And the clean up thing is something to seriously consider. Whatever you look at, take it apart. See what parts are removable and how difficult it is to do. Slicer cleaning sucks!

• Thanks
An argument for spending more.

In the past 10 years or so, due to sanitation requirements, most commercial slicers are engineered for easy disassembly and assembly. Unscrew a couple of knives and it's all easily cleaned, even ready to run through a sanitizer. Some older models are a bother.

• Thanks
I can't be of any help with the slicer. Just stopped by to say have fun at the bash! :becky:

We most dePninitely will!

Some really fantastic info here! :clap2: I'll most likely go for a 12" blade and ease of disassembly soiunds like a great thing to keep in mind.

Thanks for the great responses y'all - good stuff fo sho!

I have an 80 year old Globe that still is running like a champ. It is pretty easy to disassemble for cleaning. It is cast iron so it is really heavy. If you find an older model, check online to see if you can still get parts.

Back