Franklin bbq book question for Texas folks

But Do try:

24a7f4de282e23ce0006cff7308fcfab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Franklin BBQ hard back a few weeks back! I recently did a 16lb Prime brisket trying the Franklin 50/50 Salt and Course freshly ground pepper, after 6 hours I spritzed with a mix of apple juice and water every hour! I also made sure I did not rub the mix into the brisket but instead I sprinkled and patted it on! It was amazing!

This is the black peppercorn I used and grinned it course!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 1.33.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 1.33.39 AM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 156
  • fullsizeoutput_1a1f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1a1f.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 159
Well gave it a try. Went with Tones restaurant black pepper and Morton's Kosher salt 50/50 mix. Skipped paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.

With a better coarse pepper it made a huge difference. It would seem that different size grains of pepper can drastically alter the flavor.

Thanks for the info and help to understand this different type of bbq. Certainly way outside my normal routine. The trimming technique in Franklin's book is odd imo. It works but we are very far apart on how we trim. His technique for trimming is faster and more effective for eating bbq. My preferred way to trim is much more aggressive. Still a great guide for simple bbq without any over the top injections, rubs, and sauces. Just simple good bbq.

Here's the real rub
8 parts course ground pepper
3 parts Lawry's
3 parts kosher salt
1 part granulated garlic

That's the LaBarbecue rub.

I don't know what Franklin uses but it does not taste anything like LaBarbecue to me. Franklin has something in his that's really bold and you will be burping it all day. Not something I have experienced any other place. I've tried to put my finger on what it is but don't know.

That's the LaBarbecue rub.

I don't know what Franklin uses but it does not taste anything like LaBarbecue to me. Franklin has something in his that's really bold and you will be burping it all day. Not something I have experienced any other place. I've tried to put my finger on what it is but don't know.
Maybe somebody changed theirs? That's the rub john Lewis said he used at Franklin's. I haven't been to Franklin's in a really long time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just used BillN's SPOG recipe and threw in 1 oz Kevin Kruger's Chili Powder from TVWBB. Brisket's resting, will find out tomorrow how it turned out.

I'm not from Texas, however I find myself going back to SPOG in the majority of my cooks. I mix by weight rather than volume...
2 ounces kosher salt
2 ounces course black pepper (typically I use Kirkland brand)
1 ounce granulated onion
1 ounce granulated garlic

I think you are correct re size of granules used, the more consistent the better. You may also consider grinding a blend of peppercorns, typically black/white/pink/green, commercially available in western mass, probably in your area too. Ditton comments on freshness. In a commercial setting, customers would periodically comment on the "heat" from the pepper, but it was freshness with which they were conflating. We ground the pepper blend once per week, just to keep the taste consistent. Like so many others mentioned, ours was (and still is at home) 1 cup each of ground pepper blend, k. salt, paprika, with 4 teaspoons each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, and ground cumin. At home, I also add 2 tsp of cayenne. FWIW, my bbq teeth were cut in New Braunfels/San Antonio area.

Back