THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

113...par for the course round here...I just want more monsoons...we always need the rain.

You can laugh at me when I'm lighting the smoker in sub 0° F, but at least a crazy heat wave here is 95° in town and maybe up to 90° up here on the ridge.

Back at Easter time I ran a fever for 2 weeks before a doctor finally ordered a xray and we found out you can have pneumonia without having covid. My internal thermostat is still messed up and I can't deal with anything over 90 degrees. That's every day by noon. I have told my wife I can grill for lunch but supper is out for now.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat!!
Ed

As someone who spent ~15 years in Tucson, AZ, I'll take ~115F in the shade with 2% humidity over Texas any day when humidity is >80% and the temperature is >90F.

In fact, I started hiking in the open Desert after lunch because of tourists that thought being >1 mile from the nearest paved road with a 500ml bottle of water was plenty! Personally, I typically hiked with 3 gallons of water and Gatorade along with something like trailmix/granola or protein bars. Rescuing people in trouble via their own stupidity is rewarding at first but, after a while when you realize you haven't hiked the full trail for weeks due to these clueless idiots, you might start hiking in the heat of the day too. I developed some real heat tolerance as well hiking in the heat of the day with this pack on. Hiking with an 60lb~90lb pack is a great workout in the sand as well.

I hiked in heat as high as 118F in the open desert under shade but, I was properly prepared and I was acclimated to the environment.

I also had to wear double hiking socks because the asphalt would get so hot it would burn the bottoms of my feet with good hiking boots on! Heavy ragg wool socks were awesome on the hot asphalt!

For anyone not used to the high heat, HYDRATE PROPERLY! Most city folks are chronically dehydrated and don't realize it because that is how they normally live. Also, get some Gatorade powder and mix it 25% or a bit less strength in your water because you really need the salts present in Gatorade and similar powders but, not the huge sugar load. Also, please avoid those energy drinks because they include ingredients that are incompatible human health under heat stress (I had the spouse of a coworker end up in the hospital from energy drinks due to the ingredient effects - read those ingredient labels!).

113...par for the course round here...I just want more monsoons...we always need the rain.

Monsoon season is nice until the rain hits the hot asphalt and turns things into a huge sauna!

>110F was pretty normal for me during most of Summer. I learned a lot about passive cooling in the old days thanks to my time in Tucson.

I had a doctor appointment Monday afternoon. When I came out it was 111° by my car's thermometer and that was parked in the shade! Once underway it cooled down to 107°. No idea what the heat index was.

Back