THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roco2010

Got Wood.
Second cook on the small rf T&K Smoker. First cook were some STL spares and were wonderful and smoker ran like a champ after a slow warm up. No pron then. Now trying an 8lb pork butt. Started 5am this morning and used a big ol floor fan to help ramp it up. Worked pretty good. 45 minutes compared to 2 hours last time. Went too small on charcoal so had to reload as I’m still learning. Anyways, few pics of the cook so far. Running about 275-300 with pecan chunks. Right now probe says 170 still at 275. Rubbed with Oak Ridge dominator sweet rub. Haven’t opened the door once. Sorry for long post. Pics

Attachments

• 48AC88EF-E99F-41E9-A746-63C20C362C18.jpg
    48AC88EF-E99F-41E9-A746-63C20C362C18.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 0123050A-5228-4B59-AB94-50027DCC35D8.jpg
    0123050A-5228-4B59-AB94-50027DCC35D8.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
  • F0759734-6076-4FE2-AE1B-74DB23B35DE2.jpg
    F0759734-6076-4FE2-AE1B-74DB23B35DE2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Dammit sideways pics again. Sorry. Any tips going forward? Figured bone wiggle test about 195

Dammit sideways pics again. Sorry. Any tips going forward? Figured bone wiggle test about 195

Rotate the pictures before posting. Are you using an iPhone? The iPhone includes the rotation info in the picture metadata and a lot of web browsers don’t know what to do with it, so the pics appear at the wrong rotation

Rotate the pictures before posting. Are you using an iPhone? The iPhone includes the rotation info in the picture metadata and a lot of web browsers don’t know what to do with it, so the pics appear at the wrong rotation

Yes I’m using an iPhone. Thanks for the tip. Can’t believe after a decade of being top phone, stuff still doesn’t work right.

I verify images after I take them on the iPhone. The phone itself doesn't always seem to bake the correct orientation into the file. At least the built in photos app lets you easily rotate the photo to the correct orientation.

Any helpful tips for the end of cook? Want pulled pork but was thinking about cutting off MM and slicing that just to see as well. Any spraying, mopping, basting, butter bath, foiling, resting tips? Much appreciated.

Ok finally fixed pictures. Tried rotating every way, and just had to go back to original setup and it worked. Thanks

Ok well not impressed at all with final product. Dried it out. Was at temp for a good while, but bone would not wiggle free at all. So I let it ride and dried it out. Too black of bark, looked damn near like a brisket. Oh well, trial and error.

Photo hint. Take you pictures with your phone sideways. That is the way the photo ratio is set. Same goes for taking videos. Butt and smoker look good.

Back