THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

daveca83

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dave
Hi,

New to this forum!

I have just got a WSM 18.5. I will be giving it it's first taste of action this weekend (seasoning it tomorrow), and will be doing a pork butt on it. (I have smoked these before and know what I am doing with it far more than brisket, ribs or chicken, so thought it would enable me to get to know the smoker a little more).

More generally, has anyone used both grills on it at the same time? Is this to be avoided or does it work well? I imagine whatever is lower will cook at a higher temperature, so if you did use both, you would need to be careful.

Thanks in advance!

Works just fine. I’ve done a 13 lb brisket on the top grate and a 9 lb pork butt on the bottom (brisket has to go on top for the size). Other than being done at different times, no worries. The bottom grate runs maybe 10-15F hotter, so it’s not that significant over a long cook.

Back