First cook on the PBC

GVDub

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
George
So, thanks to Brother gtr (Greg) I found myself with a first-gen PBC, and the weekend couldn’t get here fast enough. On the way home, I picked up a couple of 5# birds, then spatchcocked them this morning, rubbing down with olive oil and Ranch Spade L Chicken Seasoning (which I’m not sure how wide availability on it is, but if you see it and haven’t tried it, I recommend it highly).

First PBC cook, with bonus pickles by George Van Wagner, on Flickr

Deciding that my first cook would be exactly according to instructions (except that i’ve got Royal Oak, not KBB, I followed the lighting instructions (level basket, remove 40 briquettes and start them in the chimney for 12 minutes) and after that time, they looked like this before I dumped into the waiting charcoal basket along with a handful of hickory chips.

I had the ThermoPro TP-08 hooked up and say that the barrel probe wasn’t really getting above 235, so I opened the vent a hair and cracked the lid for long enough for the probe to register 300, then slid the lid back in place. It settled at 265.

After an hour and a half, they looked like this.

When the temp hit 160, I cracked to lid to get the temp up enough to crisp up the skin a little (let it get to 380, then replaced the lid and pulled at 171 (almost exactly 2 hours), and set it to rest.

Had a wing to taste, and it’s pretty farking awesome. My wife had a leg, and she agrees. Got some eggplant slices on there now, since there was plenty of coals left, and they should be finished shortly.

As a reward for going through all this, here’s a pretty shot of this morning’s batch of overnight refrigerator bread and butter pickles.

Thanks once again to Greg for his incredible generosity, and to y’all for putting up with my ramblings, because you’ve seen all this before.

Nobody that I've seen in reading the PBC Appreciation Thread has mentioned the added bonus of the juices that collect in the pan the birds rest in. Seems like the start of a nice smoky gravy.

Nice cook!! Some people buy the PBC just to cook chicken in. Greg's the man. :thumb:

Birds look awesome. Hanging chicken has completely changed my game. Its amazing. I agree on the spade-l, it is delicious. Have you tried the beef version on steak? Oh my gosh it’s amazing.

Great cook, thanks for posting!

I keep going back and forth between a PBC and a hunsaker. I only end up doing large items every few months (packer, etc.) so i think the PBC might actually have enough volume for 80% of my cooks. Plus that split rack they offer is great.

Back