THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carolina OutlawZ

Knows what a fatty is.
I did my first competition this weekend at the Lincolnton Hog Happenin!
I asked a lot of questions and also surfed a lot of threads here at the Brethren.
I want to thank everyone for the help and advice that was offered.

We entered the KCBS amateur/tailgate division and finished,
1st in Brisket
988 999 988 998 998 988
1st in Pork
999 989 988 999 789 788
3rd in Chicken
989 999 987 888 978 898
6th in Ribs - Seriously hate this and don't know what happened!
877 989 878 987 977 989

Overall Tailgate Grand Champion with a 666.7428

Had smoker issues and power issues but managed to hit every meat and stay within the 5 minute turn in window.
Sorry but no rib photos. To close to turn in for a photo.

Thanks for the help and now its time to decide if we want to try another.

Wayne Lucado
Carolina OutlawZ

Well done. My team was there for our second competition, and we did pretty well for a new team. We are out of Statesville as well. We are thinking about heading up to Franklin, NC in august for our next comp if you are looking for something fairly close.

Congrats man... you seriously kicked my tail. Was hoping to do a lot better than I did... but I honestly had tons of fun! Now to figure out how to do better!

Cschieck-very cool to have a team close to home. We had a good time but wish I had more time to meet other teams and check out some smokers. Are you planning to do hickory or Salisbury in September?

Big D- it's definitely a learning experience! It was a lot different than cooking at home. When 11:30 came, it was non stop! I actually forgot about my ribs and missed a final 15-20 min cook time. I also waited until I got there to open the cryovac on the ribs. I was so disappointed with the quality on all 3 racks! You live and learn.
Wish I could have met ya but maybe next time.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone.
Might hit another competition in the next couple of months. This time with more practice and confidence. The ole pellet fridge was nice to me this weekend but hoping to have my gravity fed done in a few weeks.

Back