First brisket, first post.

IMad78

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey y'all, new member from north texas. This year has been an intentional learning experience on bettering my BBQ skills from growing up with only my old man showing me how to overcook and destroy meat on propane grills. I started with a charcoal weber this spring and recently was rewarded with a Kamado Joe Big Joe by my wife. Everything so far has been off the chain delicious, so tonight I became a big boy and grabbed a prime packer from Costco. I have a friendly chili cookoff tomorrow so I trimmed the packet and cut about 6lb of the flat off of it for the chili and the rest for sammiches. Is that sacreligious ? Anyway here is how my night started 👍🏼 Oh btw she also gave me a new igrill2 tonight that I'm trying out.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 289
Welcome! Nice setting for a long cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A dog that will guard your meat is a good, good dog.

Good luck and post process pics!

That's a beautiful pic.
A new cooker, a nice bottle, and man's best friend.
You got it made, brother.

Lemme see...

Awesome cooker? Check.
Brisket? Check.
Dog? Check.
Electronic gadgets? Check.
Gentleman Jack? Check.
Beer? Che.... umm... partial credit for the Bud Light :becky:

You're good -- welcome aboard! :thumb:

Welcome! Like the setup. Love the Jack too. Tell us when we can come over for dinner. Looking forward to seeing the brisket.

I appreciate all of the comments, feels like a warm welcome. The pup in the pic is my big boy Murphy, aka big handsome, aka murpdawg, aka big yella, aka stfu and stop barking. We have 3 rescues, Murphy is the oldest at 13.

The cook turned out, meh. I kept a nice steady burn at 225 but both cuts stalled at about 145 for 2 hours and then continued the climb but paused again at 174. Odd but both hung there for hours and hours and I finally had to pull them and get some sleep. The flat won me my chili cookoff but the point will have to be sliced and finished in the oven, damn. Nice and tender but the fat just didn't render.

I appreciate all of the comments, feels like a warm welcome. The pup in the pic is my big boy Murphy, aka big handsome, aka murpdawg, aka big yella, aka stfu and stop barking. We have 3 rescues, Murphy is the oldest at 13.

The cook turned out, meh. I kept a nice steady burn at 225 but both cuts stalled at about 145 for 2 hours and then continued the climb but paused again at 174. Odd but both hung there for hours and hours and I finally had to pull them and get some sleep. The flat won me my chili cookoff but the point will have to be sliced and finished in the oven, damn. Nice and tender but the fat just didn't render.

a stall is not odd. It is guranteed. You can pull and wrap in foil or paper, if you want to speed things up. I prefer unwrapped, or paper if it gets too dark. When I do wrap, I will unwrap for the last hour to reset bark. If you don't trim, all the fat will not render, just take a spoon, or the back of your knife, and it will scrape off. Or cut into chunks, and put back on for burnt ends.

Back