Feral Hog - in progress

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
2 shoulder and 2 hams from a little 90 pound hog we got in the fall

The shoulders I cured for 7 days - have a pastrami rub on them - and hope to make pulled pork pastrami

The hams I injected with Tony C creole butter - rubbed with black pepper and holy voodoo - the hams are currently sitting at 145 - probably wrap them in an hour - couple more hours before I can wrap the shoulders

Nice…I intend to harvest some hogs this year. I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast featuring Jesse Griffiths and really enjoyed it (episode #1676) and ended up buying his book “The Hog Book”. What stood out to me was his statement that the only difference between a feral hog and a “pig” is which side of the fence they’re on.

https://www.themeateater.com/authors/jesse-griffiths

https://thehogbook.com/

Looking forward to seeing your results and hearing about your experience cooking them.

Nice…I intend to harvest some hogs this year. I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast featuring Jesse Griffiths and really enjoyed it (episode #1676) and ended up buying his book “The Hog Book”. What stood out to me was his statement that the only difference between a feral hog and a “pig” is which side of the fence they’re on.

https://www.themeateater.com/authors/jesse-griffiths

https://thehogbook.com/

Looking forward to seeing your results and hearing about your experience cooking them.

I have had more success when they are under 100 pounds -

Have the hams wrapped with some butter and a “little” beer to help steam them - back into the smoker

The shoulders have another hour or so before wrapping

Finished up the pulled pork - first picture is the pork pastrami. Second is the one injected with Tony C creole butter. Last picture is all of em

Going to vacumn seal them tomorrow

Turned out very good - about 6 hours total time on hams (4 unwrapped and 2 wrapped) and 7.5 hours on the pastrami shoulders (5 unwrapped and 2.5 wrapped) - let them both vent for about 15 minutes after they came off the smoker - then into my yeti for about 6 hours - they were still temping around 160 this morning when I pulled the meat

.............................. I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast featuring Jesse Griffiths and really enjoyed it (episode #1676) and ended up buying his book “The Hog Book”. What stood out to me was his statement that the only difference between a feral hog and a “pig” is which side of the fence they’re on.

That's always been the truth in the U.S. unless someone imported and fenced up some European Boars for the city slickers to hunt.

The ole timer's didn't bother fencing in their hogs. They let them run free and forage on the land. Hogs tend to stay in one area provided they have food and water and are not molested. When the farmers wanted fresh pork they'd go hunt one down and cook it.

When I was a youngster they still let hogs run free in Louisiana and when we would cross into LA on the way to visit relatives one of the first signs we would see was one to alert out of state folks to watch for free running hogs on the roads.

While, once upon a time, feral hogs had became almost non-existent in Arkansas thanks to the AR Game and Fish farkers they have rebounded with a vengeance.

That's always been the truth in the U.S. unless someone imported and fenced up some European Boars for the city slickers to hunt.

The ole timer's didn't bother fencing in their hogs. They let them run free and forage on the land. Hogs tend to stay in one area provided they have food and water and are not molested. When the farmers wanted fresh pork they'd go hunt one down and cook it.

When I was a youngster they still let hogs run free in Louisiana and when we would cross into LA on the way to visit relatives one of the first signs we would see was one to alert out of state folks to watch for free running hogs on the roads.

While, once upon a time, feral hogs had became almost non-existent in Arkansas thanks to the AR Game and Fish farkers they have rebounded with a vengeance.

Dang Joe, how many you want? We are overrun with them. :thumb:

Beautiful pulled pork. Looks just like some of the catering jobs that handled our company lunches from time to time back in the day.

I'd go straight for the pastrami!

Dang Joe, how many you want? We are overrun with them. :thumb:

We are too. The G&F used to tell the hunters not to hunt them since they are livestock(hunters might offend the farmers:crazy:) and not game animals allowing their numbers to skyrocket. Now the G&F is begging folks to hunt them but they could have prevented the problem 50 years ago.

Short rant. Our G&F are farkin' idiots. They refused to help with quail restoration years ago too. Now we hardly have any. They didn't preach to kill the spike deer and now we have runts. They did do a good job of turkey restoration. Then they have spent untold amounts of money bringing elk back to the state.:doh: I'll stop there.:hand:

Back