Feeling Validated- and somewhat snobbish

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I’m reading a book this weekend (see photo). It’s really a good read with excellent photo. The setting is Texas- the roads traveled I have traveled-usually really fast without stopping. I’m just not an “eat BBQ on the road” kind of guy. I drive a tad too quickly. I’ve had more visits with legs with blue stripes than Restaurant encounters. Except West,TX ( that’s a town south of FT Worth- West comma Texas) stop there if you get a chance.

I need to quit being a bbq snob, slow my butt down- stop and smell (and eat) the Q.

The book does validate or mirror what we discuss here. I promise a lot of us will see ourselves.

Sausage seldom disappoints
Q joints come and go-frequently
Onion rings can make or break a joint
Consistent brisket all day every day is a tough gig
Side dishes

I Googled Top Q joints in Amarillo. Several are closed permanently.

I’m going to attempt to calm my snobbery and visit a few over the next few weeks. At least for the sausage slaw and jalapeños

Last edited:
I can't see you ever being a snob. Validated in your beliefs is a totally cool place to be. Snobbery- not so much. :grin:

I can't see you ever being a snob. Validated in your beliefs is a totally cool place to be. Snobbery- not so much. :grin:

Snobbish as in I have blown by many a Q joints that looking back maybe I should’ve stopped at least for a spicy link or two, specially if there was an active smoker instead of seeking the consistent safety of a Whataburger or ChesterFried.

I think that's normal. Just too many to know which are good. I just started trying more over the last 5 years. And sausage is 99% safe.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And sausage is 99% safe.

On another note, maybe it's my taste buds but I haven't had any trademark sausage in long ass time. They all taste the same to me. Is everyone using the same recipe or buying it from the same place?

I have not been to Luling or Smitty's Market in about 13 years.

On another note, maybe it's my taste buds but I haven't had any trademark sausage in long ass time. They all taste the same to me. Is everyone using the same recipe or buying it from the same place?

I have not been to Luling or Smitty's Market in about 13 years.
LA Barbeque has an awesome sausage. Best I've ever had. Not like everyone else's.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Adams, some guy was going to write a book about all of the great Q joints in SC, but he died before he got through the first town. Our Q places in SC are never sold, you have to inherit one. If somebody comes here to open a BBQ restaurant, he could spend a lifetime trying to find a vacant lot between two existing joints.

Adams, some guy was going to write a book about all of the great Q joints in SC, but he died before he got through the first town. Our Q places in SC are never sold, you have to inherit one. If somebody comes here to open a BBQ restaurant, he could spend a lifetime trying to find a vacant lot between two existing joints.

John Lewis probably just said EFF IT and opened his up. I am sure he is responsible for the hot guts at La BBQ that I need to try.

Yup I'm in the same boat time to slow down, smell the roses, taste the que and experience the backwaters. The next 20 to 30 years will come way to quick. Our time on this earth is finite.

That is a pretty good book. Also, the kolaches, made by little old ladies, to be found in West, Texas are worth stopping for. Sausage, and cherry are my favorites.
There is a Czech bakery about every twenty feet.

Back