Fast Full Spare To St Louis - How To BBQ Right

I prefer St. Louis style already trimmed, but if I find full spares on sale, I do buy them & trim them down like the video. I then freeze the rib tips & eventually grind up the meat with more pork to make sausage.

I prefer St. Louis style already trimmed, but if I find full spares on sale, I do buy them & trim them down like the video. I then freeze the rib tips & eventually grind up the meat with more pork to make sausage.

I use them for Chinese spare rib tips.

This kind of answers and reminds me of questions from a few weeks ago when I smoked some ribs. I have always bought back ribs from Costco/Sam’s and they always have a lot of meat sitting on top of the bones which some people I cook for don’t like. So this last time I wanted to try St. Louis cut to see if it remedied the problem. The bag I bought was from Costco and the shrink wrap bag said spare ribs on it, but the Costco tag said St. Louis cut. One of the rack of ribs looked like I thought it should with the bones extending from edge to edge. The other two racks had short rib bones (about 2-3 inches long) and the rest of the length being rib tips (or at least what I think were rib tips). To say the least, I was disappointed. Did I get ripped off or is this what I should have expected? How can I prevent this from happening again? I don’t like rib tips so buying full spareribs isn’t really an option for me (plus it’s more work than I want to do).

Any suggestions or thoughts?

................... the Costco tag said St. Louis cut. One of the rack of ribs looked like I thought it should with the bones extending from edge to edge. The other two racks had short rib bones (about 2-3 inches long) and the rest of the length being rib tips (or at least what I think were rib tips). To say the least, I was disappointed. Did I get ripped off .............. How can I prevent this from happening again? I don’t like rib tips............

I've had this happen too many times to buy STL trimmed ribs from Sam's/Costco/ Kroger sized stores ever again. Yes, you got ripped off.

In the future take the bad ribs back to the manager and get some cut correctly.

Again, in the future buy thawed ribs so you can check for tips, find a reliable butcher, or trim spares yourself and find a market for rib tips. Maybe a couple nice big watchdogs?

Back