THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saulnier

Got Wood.
I have cooked brisket on everything from a UDS to a gooseneck trailer mounted walk on stick/log burning pit. A friend (Great friend) bought a pellet grill a while back and gave me a 22" Weber kettle. I had never done a brisket on a kettle so I thought why not......

Set it up with 35 pieces of BB Oak briquettes on each side for indirect grilling.
Put 10 lit briquettes on each side to start it off, along with a small handful of pecan wood chips.
Bent up a large aluminum foil pan to fit in the middle to catch the drippings.

Trimmed and seasoned a 12lb brisket (prolly 10ish lbs ready to cook) and put it on the grill fat side down.

Let the grill run up to about 380-400 and let it run like that for 2.5 hours.
Added about 10 more briquettes to each side and flipped the brisket over for about another 1-1.5 hours. Wrapped it in paper tightly and then in foil loosely / open on top and cooked for another hour.
pulled it at 5.5 hours with an internal temp of 203.

Closed up the foil and placed it between towels in a cooler just big enough for it to fit.
Let it rest for 2.5 hours. (This was probably a key part)

Probably not full on big time competition quality but really good. I would pit it on the table against any restaurant brisket any day.

Anyone else cook Hot N Fast?

Saulnier

I’ve done a hot and fast brisket on my UDS. Came out awesome! I let mine rest for about 3.5 hours due to company getting there late. One of the best I’ve done.

Done hundreds hot and fast. Did one in under 4 hours once. 400 was too hot for my liking. 300 is where I liked them best.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Never had a hot and fast turn out well. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but for me they're better if I give them the time in the smoker they deserve.

When cooking them on the Drum they get wrapped around the 3hr mark, start checking for tenderness 2hrs after they've been wrapped. They're usually done around 5.5hrs give or take 30 then they go straight to the cooler for at least a 2hr rest. I usually give myself 9hrs from putting it on the drum till serving, don't like to feel rushed so I give myself an extra hour.

My most consistent results have come off the Drum but when cooking them on the PG after they've been wrapped I bump the temp up to 300 and they've all turned out great too.

Back