Ever Grill in a Monsoon?

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
Well, I have before. But last night was probably the worst one for me.

I was checking the weather and knew there was a storm system coming and forecasting showed I had enough time to get the job done....then the wind really picked up
52253940036_5e59644d19_b.jpg

So I ended up moving my weber under my overhang before the fun really started.
52253940086_25c163b28c_b.jpg

At this point, low clouds were just flying by and the wind started picking up more, then the waterworks
52253940076_f3775e51a0_b.jpg

Now when it storms a lot, the water will rise on my patio. If it touches the house, it's usually a lot of rain. At the end of it, I was grilling pork loins in an inch of standing water.
52253961048_afa4cff609_b.jpg

Thankfully I have a big covered patio and it helps in situations like this. For us Desert Dwellers, we got SLAMMED. my Weather station showed ~4" rain in like 45 minutes. Not the most ideal scenario to grill, but the loins turned out great! :mrgreen: I took a quick video of the rain under my patio. I will see if I can get it uploaded to YouTube or something

EDIT: Here you go https://youtube.com/shorts/Z8XmblF15ts

Last edited:
In East Mesa we went outside briefly when the dust was going by, then a little later we sat out and enjoyed the cool breeze and lightning show with a cold beer. We did get a few drops, but envy that rain.
Grilled pork tastes better in the cooler weather too! Way to hang in there.

Did St. Louis ribs in the WSM few years ago. Started raining like hell about 3 hours in. Left the WSM outside and the temp probe cord was just long enough to reach inside the garage before I closed the door. Temp dropped over 100° in about 20 minutes. Had to restoke the fire after the rain slowed. Ribs took about 6 hours in total but were pretty good.

When I first got my pellet grill, I got hit with crazy amount of rain during one long cook. I read horror stories about pellets swelling when exposed to water and jamming the auger and didn't know if my cheap Pit Boss pellet smoker was waterproof or not. I didn't want to risk it and find out so I took the biggest golf umbrella I had and stood on my patio deck in the pouring rain holding the umbrella over my PB Copperhead 5 smoker. I think I was out there like an hour before the downpour finally stopped. It felt like forever, and I was drenched wet and looked like I had gone swimming. But my pellet smoker was dry, and I was able to finish the cook.

Overnight during my first and only bbq competition, a crazy storm blew through and all I had for protection was my Easy Up. The next morning a couple handfuls of teams with destroyed tents packed it up and left. Luckily I faired a little bit better.

Brings back memories of cooking a comp in a tropical storm in Jacksonville. Late Sat night partner and I holding our canopy down as others are rolling down center aisle due to wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 or 8 years ago I did a competition up here next to a lake. NWS official 70 mph straight line winds and heavy rain came off lake with nothing between the comp and the storm. We had a camper and a pop up canopy. My big butt was out holding the canopy down, think Harry Soo on BBQ pitmasters season 1, my empty WSM went flying but fortunately at that point I had started cooking H&F rather than L&S. So cookers were empty. Storm probably lasted 20 minutes and other than one dinged up WSM we made it ok, others not so good. I helped at least 3 of 20 team clean up their destroyed canopies. Another team had his meat on UDS and they got blown over. Out of 20 teams only 14 even did turn ins. Our scores were not that good but at least we made it.

Oh man - you are the trooper! I lived in Alta, IA for 6 years during the 70s. No BBQ then, though...

Last edited:
Oh man - you are the trooper! I lived in Alta, IA for 6 years during the 70s. No BBQ then, though...

You probably know some of our family, they have lived in Alta since beginning of time i think. Wife works in Alta now too.

That contest I was speaking of was up at the Okoboji.

Back