Enhanced Meat - A Primer: Revisited

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
I first wrote the article below, on my blog back in 2009, and updated it in 2011 on a post on here
It is now 2016 and enhancing has become rampant. When I wrote this it was focused on pork, but poultry has now become as as big, if not bigger of an issue than pork.
The issue is even more relevant than it was when I first posted it, so I have revamped the post and am reissuing it for 2016.

Enhanced Meats: Is your meat enhanced??

A couple of times a year, the topic of brining comes up, and along with it the topic of injected (enhanced) meats.

Below is a post I wrote for my blog a couple of years (has been 7 years now) ago, and thought it was timely to bring it back around.

While this post deals specifically with Pork it is also relevant to Poultry as well.
If you are watching your sodium intake or have other dietary concerns, then this should be required reading.

Is Your Meat Enhanced?
Beware! There is an impostor lurking on your grocers’ shelf. You most certainly have seen this impostor, and more than likely you have this impostor in your freezer. It masquerades as a Natural and/or Minimally Processed product. It has been injected (or soaked/marinated) with a mysterious solution that can effect not the only the way it tastes but the way it cooks, and it’s nutrient contents.

Who (or in this case, what) is this nefarious poser?……………Meat; Poultry, Pork & Beef.

It seems that over the years producers of meats & poultry have done a great job in catering to the masses that clamor for leaner products. So great in fact that they are much leaner than in years past, and this is where the problem begins.

Leaner meats, means less fat. Less fat means less flavor, and meats that dry out quicker during cooking.

Well the powers that be in the meat industry certainly don’t want to be in the business of selling dry meats with less flavor. Not when consumers may be able to find fattier (and therefore juicer & more flavorful) meats somewhere else. So what is the answer?

Easy: Let’s change the meat so the consumers can have leaner meats, that are also juicy & flavorful. They discovered that by injecting additives into the meat (known as "plumping"), they can do just this, but not just any additives.
What if they added also added chemicals that would help to preserve the meat (color, etc) for the long drive to your local grocer?​
Well folks this is not a lead in for a science fiction story about how corporate greed created a mutated food supply for all to ingest, sadly this is a real and everyday occurrence. So does this mean there is a clandestine operation somewhere injecting these additives in a dark alley somewhere?
Nope, not at all, it is legal, regulated (USDA) and is supposed to be identified to the consumer on each and every package.​
You may be asking; why should I care, it is legal right?
Yes it is legal, and yes you should care for many reasons:​

• Are you a diabetic or someone watching your sodium intake?​
  • Do you wonder why some meats seem to cook quicker and taste different than other meats of the same cut, size & weight?​
  • Do you buy meats and other products based on an “All Natural” label?​
  • Do you wonder why some pork you buy & cook, ends up tasting “hammy”​
  • If you answered “Yes” to any of the above, keep reading.​
A collaborative study was conducted by scientists at USDA, University of Wisconsin, University of Maryland, and the National Pork Board to determine the nutrient contents of pork, enhanced and non-enhanced. A copy of that study can be found here: Pork Nutrient Study. (a copy is attached below)

The study begins by stating that it is estimated that 45% of fresh pork cuts are enhanced. It goes onto examine the differences in nutrients between enhanced and non-enhanced pork. The surprising results were that on pork cuts that were Braised (cooked in liquid) the sodium content was over 200% higher in enhanced pork versus non-enhanced pork. When these same cuts were Roasted or Broiled the sodium content increased to over 500% in the enhanced products!

This has become a huge problem, especially for people that are battling health issues.

Consider these points made in the conclusions of the study.

•Nutrient levels of sodium, phosphorus and potassium are
significantly elevated in enhanced products and may be further
elevated due to the concentrating effect on the nutrients
resulting from moisture loss during heating.
•The addition of these new data in SR (Standard Reference) will provide specific and current product information on enhanced pork cuts for use in
nutrition monitoring, research, food policy development, and
dietary counseling of individuals, particularly those with sodium
and phosphorus-related health issues, such as hypertension and
renal disease.

The substances that they “enhance” the meats with vary, but tend to be: Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Lactate & broth.

One particular brand contains “up to a twelve percent solution”, the concentration does vary from one brand to another, with some brands reported to be as low as 1.5% solution up to 15% (the highest I have seen, outside of cured meats).
Obviously the lower the concentration the better, but I strive to locate local meat processors and attempt to buy non-enhanced meats.

The bottom line is this: Read the labels thoroughly, and understand what it is you are buying, cooking and eating.

Last edited:
Yup. Because of my kidney issues, it's actually crucial that I avoid enhanced meats, due to the phosphorous in the injections. The sodium levels not only encourage hydration, it affects the flavor. In truth, most Americans prefer the taste and texture of enhanced meats. The phosphate salts used in commercial BBQ injections and bird disks are the same process. It's why they work.

I have to admit I'm guilty of preferring the flavor of enhanced meats.

I do normally buy unenhanced meat and enhance it myself by brining or dry brining, however.

I'm not concerned about the salt but I'd prefer to know that salt is all that was added.

I prefer the flavor of un-enhanced meat, and my wife needs to avoid the salt. That said, it bothers me to pay for the solution at the same price set for the meat. If a piece of meat is 12% enhanced, that's by weight, so a pound of pork is actually just a hair over 14 ounces of meat and the rest solution.

I prefer the flavor of un-enhanced meat, and my wife needs to avoid the salt. That said, it bothers me to pay for the solution at the same price set for the meat. If a piece of meat is 12% enhanced, that's by weight, so a pound of pork is actually just a hair over 14 ounces of meat and the rest solution.

Exactly!
You are paying for (added) water weight.

Kroger sells both enhanced and unenhanced ribs. The unenhanced are over 50% more expensive. Meijers sell unenhanced for roughly the same price as Kroger enhanced. And Meijer's ribs have the sternum removed, so you are not paying for that. Makes me wonder.

I'm not concerned about the salt but I'd prefer to know that salt is all that was added.

Agreed! but its not just salt they are adding.
The list of "stuff" besides salt they inject include:

• Potassium Phosphate
  • Sodium Phosphate
  • Potassium Lactate

Take a look at the highlighted numbers. Note the difference between "NE" Non-Enhanced and "E" Enhanced numbers. (I use the roasted column, cause that is closest to the way we cook when we grill or bbq)

Sodium, Potassium & Phosphorus levels are all elevated in enhanced meats. It is true that all these are natural chemicals found in the human body, but as with anything else, there is such a thing as "too much"

Too much Sodium = bad for you
Too much Potassium = bad for you
Too much Phosphorus = bad for you

I do enough damage to my body with meats, alcohol and the occasional cigar. I don't need any help for the food industry, so i try to stick with buying non-enhanced meats and do the enhancing myself.

At least I know what I have enhanced it with. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I've watched BBQ comp shows where they inject phosphates to enhance the "moisture".

It left me wondering just what those judges were eating. :confused:

Sam's sells unenhanced pork and it's pretty good for the price. I normally get 2 really good sets of ribs out of each package of 3. I'll smoke the 2 racks and use the other for other recipies like red sauce--Ribs and Italian sausage makes the best pasts sauce IMO.

I've watched BBQ comp shows where they inject phosphates to enhance the "moisture".

It left me wondering just what those judges were eating. :confused:
Although I no longer use injections, and have no taste for competing, I will say, that the use of injections and soaks in competition are not that big of a deal, as the impacts in those small portions are relatively minor for most healthy folks. They play a pretty critical role now, in terms of winning in BBQ competitions.

Enhancing meat extends the shelf life of the product, I can see why the price is so low, it allows the processor to cycle more meat at a time. It's preserved, just like a ham is. Each to their own.

Back