Duroc goodness

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
In a post earlier this week I mentioned my local Tom Thumb (grocery store) had Duroc breed meat for the first time ever. I've always wanted to try one of the heritage breeds so I bought one of every variety they had.

pJjSSO7.jpg

First the tenderloin. I rubbed then smoked the tenderloin to internal 130 then finish direct heat with some bbq slathered on to 137.

It was fantastic. Juiciest and most tender pork I've ever eaten.

usGqzjc.jpg

Second was the loin meat. It was raining outside so did a play on pork Milanese but with marinara (Please don't tell my relatives I put marinara on this dish). Pounded thin, dredged in goodness, fried in olive oil/butter to about 130 then finished in broiler. This was kind of a use what I had on hand meal but it turned out really tasty. The pork actually had some flavor to impart to the meal and it was fork tender.

nRvprkL.jpg

dzyFSke.jpg

Finally the pork chops (really just the loin over again). I wanted to keep this simple and taste the meat. Heavy salt/pepper/garlic powder, smoked to 130 then direct to 140. End result was much more tender than it had a right to be. I wouldn't cook chops like this on a normal basis but was impressed with the meat.

hAdcjgW.jpg

In conclusion, yes 100% Duroc seems to be more tender, juicy and more flavorful than garden variety pork sold at the stores these days. The cost difference was maybe a couple dollars so absolutely worth the extra expense for the quality of the finished product.

If you can find some I recommend!

Don't see it around these parts, not that I've seen anyway. Have to keep an eye out for it. Yours looks fantastic!

Looks awesome Robert! Quality is way up there compared to commodity.

I halved a Duroc butt and the difference is obvious.

Uj8fuhll.jpg

That's borderline ridiculous! I mean it looks like a mid grade wagyu steak. I bet it was incredible.

Have you ever been able to find iberico pork? I've heard it's the best pork there is bar none but I've never been able to find it local. Central market said they carried some around Christmas time one year but never have again.

That's borderline ridiculous! I mean it looks like a mid grade wagyu steak. I bet it was incredible.

Have you ever been able to find iberico pork? I've heard it's the best pork there is bar none but I've never been able to find it local. Central market said they carried some around Christmas time one year but never have again.

Oh yes! Best I've had. Farking expensive though. Imho the kobe of pork.

WFVk5Ng.jpg

RDNmZdch.jpg

Great looking cooks robertm. For the loin and chops, Duroc and Berkshire were very noticeable improvements when I tried them. Didn't notice a real difference with the shoulders and ribs.

Then again, the shoulders and ribs I tried didn't look like the ones ssv3 is posting. Those look ridiculously good. May have to give the heritage breeds a try again for those muscles.

Nice find Robert and even better looking cook. I have not been fortunate enough to find good pork like that.

That makes me want to look harder for some Duroc. Great looking cooks!

I have ordered it before for a gift for a client that is not so "meat tuned" as most of us on here. it was a pork chop bn steak he called me later to thank me for some of the best steaks he had ever cooked. Now i dont know his cooking skills but he thought it was beef.

Thanks for sharing looks mouth watering good......... think I will thaw out one now!

Back