THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Hey All,

I always try and plan my meals ahead of time and shop for items a week or two ahead of cookin em. I have two cooks i' am thinking of doing and have questions.

1. I wanna do meatloaf again. I usually only use ground beef but was thinking of adding some jimmy dean sausage as I have seen some do a 2 lb gd and 1 pound porky mix. Advice? Ohh ps thoughts on mini loafs instead of one big loaf? was thinking of individual servings like cow pies /snicker.

2. I am gonna do a chuck roast on the mb 560 for pot roast. I' am gonna do the carrots and red taters in crock pot as usual. I haven't smoke a chuck roast. 3 lb choice trying to get a fat round one. thoughts?

#1. I do mni-loaves. I thing I saw for a pro chef was to check for doneness was to check the top 1/3rd for temp instead of center. 160-165*F.

#2. Lots of great recipes for chuck roast here.

I'm not a fan of smoking beef and pork mixed but that's just me.

Good Luck!

I actually think I' am gonna go rogue on the loaf and try my first fatty instead /gasp lol. Gonna do a beef/pork stuffed with yellow onions, 4 cheese blend and jalapenos.

Chucks probably gonna be the hard one I don't have much luck with beef i tend to pull early

1. I always do meatloaf with beef and ground pork just like I do chili. 2:1 ratio beef and pork. The pork adds extra flavor that beef doesn't have. In the end it's a great combination.

Ultimate meatloaf=equal parts beef,pork,veal.Bastardize it as you wish after that with add ins and seasonings.

How about the 3.5 lb cross rib? I got some Kosmos reserve blend injection I was saving. I think I will use that and a mix of honey chipotle killer bee and one of the cow covers. cooking till 198 to 205.

For the fatty should I sauté the onions and jalapenos before putting em in the middle of the fatty?

I will throw this warning out there for anyone using meatloaf with JD. I always go pork and beef and have used many different types of generic brands sausage. My last one I used JD instead and the JD sausages flavor is so much stronger than other brands. It was overkill and took over the meatloaf flavor. However I go 1:1 ratio of pork to beef and it's great.

I love smoking a chuck roast. Mississippi pot roast is excellent!

I just did one with 1.5 lb. of 80/20 beef and 1 lb of ground pork. Came out really good. Thought about sausage instead of ground, but thought it might take it over.

184316342_10223309372780232_6637294435525483854_n.jpg

50:50 ground beef and ground pork is my favorite combination, for moistness and flavor. I've not used breakfast sausage but I do mix 1# of my bulk chorizo to 1# of beef, then add hi-temp cheese, Mexican seasonings and sometimes even some super sweet corn. I pin bacon across the top before smoking.

5NsCaQ9.jpg

This is the hi-temp cheese version.

YH4xSCi.jpg

As far as the chuck goes, the cook is straightforward, but they do like a wrapped step with some broth for tenderness, just watch it close so you don't wind up with a pot roast kind of texture.

Kosmos Q has a great meatloaf recipe that you should Google and it will also answer both of your loaf questions.

This. In the intro to the video he talks about it being a great seller for him in the past. I can second this. I use it to pay our dog sitter, and have several family members that have offered to pay for me to make this for them more often.

Thanks yeah I should have looked more I just assumed it was pork sausage should have had some ground regular pork it sounds like. I will try it since I got it.

I will probably do the chuck roast middle of the week. I got a 3# cross rib roast this time not sure how different it's gonna be than a normal chuck. I have a good sized cast iron with lid was thinking of doin the baby red potatoes and baby carrots in it since i will have the grill goin anyways. I was gonna crock pot em.

Back