THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
I have only one smoker, after recently moving to a smaller house with smaller back yard I opted for the Oklahoma Joe Highland.
After viewing many video mods I installed stainless steel baffles redirecting the heat in an effort to even out the temp. in the cooking chamber (second picture) and installed a charcoal basket for the fire box (third pic.).
The baffles (shield) worked well enough for distribution of heat but I decided that a lot of the heat energy and smoke was wasted by this method and escaped through the vent before it affected the meat. So I had to figure a way to keep that energy around long enough to help the cook.
I could transfer the exhaust to make it reverse flow but that would take way too much in cost and effort so I decided to make the heat and smoke travel in reverse instead. I did that by laying another shield about 2 inches above the first and butting it up against the exhaust end of the cooking chamber. (Next two pics.) (A straight sheet of aluminum or steel would do just as well except I had an aluminum case that I had no more use for that fit the chamber in with almost exactly by chance and I cut it to length.)
This mod causes the heat and smoke to travel in a Z shape reversing the flow twice instead of just once as with an original reverse flow unit.
NOW, if you are still awake and not bored to death by this post, here are my take aways: the temperature at either end of the smoker is remarkably consistent (degree for degree) until cooking temp is reached and then the rear trails by some 5-8 degrees from the front. (Point of brisket goes to the front so this is ok.); the under sides of the baffles (doubled) trap much more of the heavier smoke particles that you don't want on your meat. (See picture of soot rag which is one swipe of underside of lower shield and picture of the reverse of the upper shield); all the heat energy and smoke is forced over the cook just like in an ordinary reverse flow; finally, the two shields retain heat (the lower being 3/8 inch SS) and the chamber temp jumps right back after opening for spraying etc.
Of course I could have bought a reverse flow with most of these features installed but, alas, I did not and this mod cost less in any event. Thanks for bearing with me. Your opinions are solicited and welcome.

Attachments

• smoker Joe.jpg
    smoker Joe.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 219
  • smoker baffles.jpg
    smoker baffles.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 218
  • smoker basket.jpg
    smoker basket.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 218
  • smoker reversing shield.jpg
    smoker reversing shield.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 220
  • smoker shield installed.jpg
    smoker shield installed.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 218
  • smoker grates.jpg
    smoker grates.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 219
  • smoker soot rag.jpg
    smoker soot rag.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 220
  • smoker reverse of shield.jpg
    smoker reverse of shield.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 218
Very cool!

You may have just started the next great smoker fad!

Need to correct original post: the bottom baffles/shield is 3/16" not 3/8". 1/8 would do just as well or even better for handling. These are heavier than I intended though they do retain and radiate more heat as a result.

Not sure on the charcoal basket. That cooker is designed to run on sticks isn't it?

I'm waiting for the traditionalists to pop in and say lose the exhaust extension and burn wood splits for better air flow and easier to manage cooking experience. Get that small hot fire going and feed 'er once every 30 min or so. I'm afraid that setup is going to cause some serious draw issues.

But I do hope it works out for you.

Not sure on the charcoal basket. That cooker is designed to run on sticks isn't it?

I'm waiting for the traditionalists to pop in and say lose the exhaust extension and burn wood splits for better air flow and easier to manage cooking experience. Get that small hot fire going and feed 'er once every 30 min or so. I'm afraid that setup is going to cause some serious draw issues.

Yep. I did the same mods to my OK Joe Longhorn when I got it a few years ago. The baffle and tuning plates work well. The charcoal basket sux, at best you can get 6 hours on a full basket, which is a lot of charcoal. I tossed the basket and the exhaust extender, put down a layer of lump on the fire grate, light with a half chimney of charcoal and then use small splits, starting with 3. Need to add a small split about every 45 minutes, easily maintains 250 deg for as long as I keep adding the splits.

I call it a charcoal basket but I use charcoal only to start the fire and smoke with stick only thereafter.
I have not noticed any difference in draw from the original set up but the stack is too small a diameter from the getgo in my opinion. The amount of ash and soot this set up catches before they have a chance to affect the meat would be worth any difference in draw in my op. but there again a restricted flow would add to the problem with soot.
As for the basket, I do have to use thinner sticks (which is why I got the Kindling Cracker) and to do it again I would get one with a larger expansion holes. All in all I'm happy with the set up.

I like these ideas

I picked up a NB Black Diamond for a project, I think this might be the way to go - Thanks for sharing:clap2:

A biscuit test would be interesting!
The heat distribution can be manipulated to preference by spacing of the two plates after the one blocking direct heat from the fire pit. Also, you can cut down the width of the two plates to make three segments for more precise distribution or cut bigger holes in the rear portion of the second (top) baffle to allow more heat to the rear if that is desired. Theoretically, the system can be manipulated in many ways to suit individual preferences.

Yep. I did the same mods to my OK Joe Longhorn when I got it a few years ago. The baffle and tuning plates work well. The charcoal basket sux, at best you can get 6 hours on a full basket, which is a lot of charcoal. I tossed the basket and the exhaust extender, put down a layer of lump on the fire grate, light with a half chimney of charcoal and then use small splits, starting with 3. Need to add a small split about every 45 minutes, easily maintains 250 deg for as long as I keep adding the splits.
I prefer the basket. It keeps the hot coals and embers concentrated and that promotes ignition of newly added splits. This reduces the time you need to keep the fire box lid open to start the cleaner burn of new splits. Thereby conserving more heat energy in the cooking chamber.

Back