Do you really need a thermometer with WiFi

I just use my maverick itworks great I never leave my house when I'm cooking out side that would take all my fun away I love to b rite there I the moment she I'm cooking outside any emergencies would have to wait

Personally the wifi is for the range like some folks say but I use the iGrill2 for my needs at half the price and it works fine.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009P5-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42"]Amazon.com : iDevices iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I want WiFi because bluetooth doesn't have the range. I want a low alarm & a high alarm. If my fire goes out in the middle of the night and the temp drops too much, I want an alarm to wake me up, instead of waking up in the morning and having to throw out my food and have my BBQ ruined.

^ This would fit my need. I won't really leave my cookers unattended for a 20 mile errand but on the farm I'll often go do a 30-45 minute chore. I currently use iGrill and will be upgrading to the iGrill2 to get the 4 temp probes with alarms but bluetooth range is really to limited to do what I really want. I do not need fan controllers, etc. for my stickburners; just 4 temp probes, high & low alarms on each and WiFi connectivity.

FWIW, I currently have WiFi across my farm with an Ayrstone system http://www.ayrstone.com/wp/products/741-2/ that has a range of a few miles so I can connect tablets, smartphones or notebooks anywhere on our acreage or inside barns, etc.

I love my Tappeque and when I go somewhere and my pit gets low I call the wife and have her add a split , it helps me run the pit when I have something else to do .

bajatom4934

I'm one of those tech challenged persons. I don't need one nor will I buy one. I'm 62 years old cooking on a BGE and Rectec 680. I have an Igrill which I got at Sams for $30. I have not figured out blue tooth yet but it still operates while I'm at home. Hope this helps with your decision.

I just put a ziplock bag over my cyber q wifi and it seems to protect it pretty well.

Last edited:
I love my Tappeque and when I go somewhere and my pit gets low I call the wife and have her add a split , it helps me run the pit when I have something else to do .

Your wife is a superstar. My wife tried that once. I had to rush home to save the fire.

Will you leave your smoker at your backyard with fire on and you drive 20 miles away for something else.

Your serious reply is appreciated.
If at last I do produce this thing, US$99 to all serious reply.
But I may not produce it too. In this case you can only get my thanks.

I know this thread is getting old but I want to encourage this.

I probably wouldn't drive 20 miles away but I would and do get out of blue tooth range of my iGrill2 all the time. I cook on one side of the road and spend much time on the other side or at a neighbors. I would absolutely spend $100-$150 on a wifi unit, but not what they are asking for wifi units today.

I want wifi because the bluetooth and whatever the maverick uses lose connection in half my house. would not have an issue with wifi

I have a Davy Crockett with built-in Wi-Fi the features are really unbelievable you could monitor the the smoker and the meat temperature from your phone and/or make adjustments,
One of the best features is in the app for the Wi-Fi you can build all different profiles for cooking different Meats label them at many different steps temperatures and instructions for the next time you cook that particular meat,
The other day I was going to 500 Degrees on one side 15 minutes and 500 Degrees on the other side then the temperature drop down to 190 and cooked to an internal temperature of 130, you can build the profiles by time or temperature or both. A lot of old pellet headsmoker we're around when I was using it and they are pretty impressed.

It sends you text messages on every step of the profile or preheat temperature is reached low Hopper ect ect

Back