THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beerbecue

Full Fledged Farker
I'm going camping with the guys soon. I'm bringing my Weber kettle along. I have lots of plans for dinner but I'm looking for a good recipe for a cast iron dutch oven dessert on the kettle. Any suggestions?

I really like the whole baked apples that have mini candy bars (like Snickers) in the cored out center. Of course the traditional ones with raisins and brown sugar in the center are good too.

Peach Cobbler Dump Cake

Fantastic and simple to make.

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Ingredients:
2 15 oz. cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup. (Can also use Cherries, Blue Berries, etc..)
1 package of yellow cake mix
Cinnamon & Brown Sugar
1 stick of butter

Directions:
Smear some butter on the bottom and sides of the Dutch oven. (This one is 5 Qt)

IMG_3457.jpg

Then "Dump" in 2 cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup and sprinkle in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. (If you like the cobbler I little dryer then partially drain one of the cans of peaches)

IMG_3459.jpg

On top of that dump 1 yellow cake mix, sprinkle in 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.

IMG_3460.jpg

Then drizzle 1 stick of melted butter on top of that. (Or just add thin slices on top)

IMG_3461.jpg

Cover up with lid and then put into the kamado / grill for 30 to 35 minutes at 325 degrees. A double recipe will take an extra 10 to 15 minutes.

IMG_3462.jpg

Here is a single serving in my 5 quart DO

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

dessert in a dutch oven? cobbler is the only real answer. brownies come in a far second, but cobbler is the answer.

Poltergeist

There's an echo in here, with pictures. Scary stuff.

Simple easy and incredibly good Cowboy Coffeecake. I make a double batch in a 12" DO at a BBQ a few yrs back at our parish the Bishop called it "Sin in a Pan":grin:

Cowboy Coffee Cake

1 (10-count) can biscuits, not the flaky type
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter melted
1/4 cup milk 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts
1/3 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Dip the biscuits in the butter and stand on edge overlapping by 1/3 as you go in bottom of the DO working around the dia .in rings to the middle. Heat other ingredients just long enough to melt sugar. Spread mixture over biscuits. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Note: double this for a12" DO

Shamelessly stolen From BBQ 4 U

The Official 1935 Memphis Molly Recipe

2* – 14 ¾ oz. Can Tart (Pie) Cherries (Not Pie Filling)
2* – 14 ¾ oz. Can Blueberries (Not Pie Filling)
1 – Similar (?? Oz) Can Crushed Pineapple in its own juice
2 - Boxes Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix
¼ - Stick Butter (a little more for a 14" Dutch Oven.)
¼ - Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
All the pecans you can afford
* one more can for a 14" Dutch Oven.

Open the fruit cans, drain completely and save half the liquid. Dump the fruits into a 12" or 14" Dutch Oven and mix them together.
Cover somewhat evenly with the cake mix; you may not need all of it depending on the size of your Dutch Oven.
Slice the butter into thin pats and spread them across the top of the cake mix.
Sprinkle the entire top with some of the saved juices to aid in making it crisp. Small dents in the surface may help the process.
Cover with the pecans and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
Cook at 350° for approximately 45 minutes, or until the cake mix appears browned and cooked.
Check progress after 20 minutes, and every 10 thereafter.
It is often a good idea to twist the lid 90° in one direction, and the oven 90° in the other every time you check to even the temperature within it.

Notes:
1 - Approximately 350° in a 12" Dutch Oven can be reached with 8 charcoal briquettes underneath and 10 on top, depending on weather conditions. Two more will be needed top and bottom for a 14" one. Replace as necessary. If the mixture boils heavily, remove 2 bottom coals, if it doesn’t boil, add two.
2 - Cleanup can be eased by lining the Dutch Oven with heavy duty aluminum foil.
3 - A deep 13 X 9 cake pan can be used for kitchen oven cooking, halving the recipe

Back