Curing Meats Results: Pretty Pleased!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces! :becky:

A few months ago I posted this thread about curing some meats and the results are in!

Yesterday I weighed them and found more weight loss than expected. So the moment of truth had arrived just short of 3 months hanging in the shed.
IMG-20220827-150711021.jpg

Started with the pancetta. First cut with my butchers knife:
IMG-20220827-150919670.jpg

BOOM! Look at the colour!. Man was I happy. And no nitrates either!
IMG-20220827-151007255.jpg

Then onto the coppocolo. Peeled the collagen sheeting back to reveal a fairly dry surface. Not encouraging.
IMG-20220827-152143159.jpg

First cut!
IMG-20220827-152206099.jpg

WOW!:shocked:

So onto the slicer.
IMG-20220827-152248369.jpg

Very nice.
IMG-20220827-152340533.jpg

So I prepared a little sharing plate just for me not to share! :bow:
IMG-20220827-152702917.jpg

And how was it?

The coppacolo is amazing. Fantastic depth of flavor that just bursts out after a little while. The spice on the coating is about right. Slightly too salty because weight loss is a bit much but it's still moist enough. Maybe I had it in the salt cure a bit long.

The pancetta is also amazing. The rub is the same, so a nice amount of heat. The fat content of course is a lot higher and along with that comes a hint of porkiness which some people might find cloying in the mouth. Slicing really thin with a bit of cheese would be the way forward but I like it as it is. And of course you can pan fry it with a fresh made pasta and oil. Easy.

:becky:

I've sliced up some more today to take over to the neighbours place with a beer or two. Added some of my Biltong which makes for a good trio of choices!
IMG-20220828-143917282.jpg

Thanks for looking. This has turned out awesome!

Cheers!

Bill

Bill,

Great job, I love the beautiful color in the end results. There is just no comparison to meats cured with the passion to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulation on a job well done!

Looks great. What did you cure the meat in? Dedicated curing fridge? I did a coppocolo a while back and it turned out better than anything I’d bought from the store in the past.

Looks mighty fine Bill, we'll have to have a beer one day. I'll bring the beer you bring the platter.

One day I'll get to the USA.

Bill,

Great job, I love the beautiful color in the end results. There is just no comparison to meats cured with the passion to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulation on a job well done!

Thanks Ian. You're the expert here.

Looks great. What did you cure the meat in? Dedicated curing fridge? I did a coppocolo a while back and it turned out better than anything I’d bought from the store in the past.

It was just salt in a tub, old style. No nitrates/nitrites. I just hanged it on hooks in the shed because the weather is about right for it at the moment. Can't do it again because we are coming into spring.

Outstanding Bill and I am with Marty and the beer I think I would like to try that some day

I'll look you up for sure if I ever get there George!

Cheers!

Bill

Back