THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
oNS83pH.jpg

About every two weeks, I use a very basic curing brine for boneless skinless chicken breasts and use them for sandwiches and snacks. But they also make a great pizza topping. I start with an 18 to 24 hour cure, and usually season them with black pepper only, but used some Smokin' Guns Hot on two of them. I do a cold smoke for 75 minutes, then ramp up the Big Chief to 160° for the next hour and check the internal. In the summer I can finish them off in the Big Chief, and when it's cooler I finish on the Egg with a pan of water.

qxnyuXw.jpg

c0iHj4E.jpg

An alternate plan is to do a foil finish on them like this

H4oVFLO.jpg

Anyways, for this pizza I sliced one breast, and assembled the pizza using a blind baked thin crust.

QO2fqQc.jpg

fnE3cyP.jpg

6XmkAdM.jpg

HwnJjha.jpg

Cooking time is 12 to 14 minutes with a raised direct set-up at 425°. A plate setter or pizza stone is optional, and a better choice with more toppings or a thicker crust.

FeE7GPU.jpg

59EaUOu.jpg

Fantabulous, what is the cure.

It's my adjusted version on Pop's Curing Brine (base recipe is below) The salt and sugar are variables, but do not change the amount of Cure #1. For chicken pieces I generally mix a quart.

Pop’s Brine - thirdeye version
1 gallon of water
125 grams canning salt
25 grams white sugar
25 grams brown sugar
20 grams Cure #1 (heaping tablespoon)
Black pepper

If you heat your water to dissolve the ingredients, add the Cure #1 after the solution cools back down.15 to 24 hour brine time for chicken breasts, 2-3 days for whole chickens.

Pop's Brine
1 gallon of water
1/3 to 1 cup canning salt (1/2 cup is a good starting point)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 heaping Tbsp cure #1 pink salt (20g)
Stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in. If you heat your water to dissolve the ingredients, add the Cure #1 after the solution cools back down.

What benefit do you get from curing them vs just a dry brine? Longevity in the fridge? Texture change?

Pie looks great :thumb:

What benefit do you get from curing them vs just a dry brine? Longevity in the fridge? Texture change?

Pie looks great :thumb:

I pull them at a slightly lower finish temp because I subscribe to the 7log10 reduction charts. THERMOWORKS has one of the better articles, but the USDA publishes the official charts. So the curing adds additional safety there, and also because I do a cold smoke step.... even though the breasts still finish inside the 4-hour window of safety.

There is also moisture retention, and a slightly tighter texture. Flavor-wise, being able to adjust the salt/sugar allows you to fine tune the flavor. I also like the slight 'rind' that forms as it is very flavorful. Skin-on smoked chicken and turkey using lower pit temps is always chewy.

Here is a smoked turkey breast I did skinless, and with a foil step and get the same seasoned rind.

R0GXQgr.jpg

Back