THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right on Q

is Blowin Smoke!
So our Costco FINALLY started carrying prime briskets. (At least for the moment). I usually have stocked up on CAB briskets from RD when they go on sale.

My question for comp cooks is, which would give me a better chance for a higher score at KCBS contests. Primes from costco or CAB from RD?

Off the cuff I would say the primes but I would think there is some merit to angus beef.

Brisket is my worst category and I'm looking for every point I can get. I cooked a prime for the first time this year and got my highest score yet but I can't tell if it's the brisket or if i'm getting better :loco:

So what is it that you like about the CAB? Is it taste or texture? A higher grade of beef gives you more fat. Fat = flavor, and also tenderness. You could cook one of each for a few contests and see which one is going home in the cooler more often.

We are cooking with Costco Primes this year...we finished tied for 1st last year for PNWBA Brisket cooking SRF Blacks. I'll let ya know in a few months how it plays out. So far we pulled a 5th place in our first comp...:cool: I like the idea of cooking $50 briskets as opposed to $150...

I don't personally know any advantage that CAB would have over more marbling. My gut instinct was to go with prime and it seems that is probably the best way to go. After I get some calls in brisket I was planning on stepping up to SRF but I do like the idea of $50 briskets.

Back