Costco prime ribeyes

blackdogbbq21

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Paul
I know this has been covered here in the past but thought I would share again for the folks that may have missed it.

I went to my local Costco the other day and was going to pickup some steaks. Looking at the prime cut ribeyes they were too thick like I’d noticed in the past but they were also poorly cut. Then it dawned on me, the caps were all trimmed off and these were labeled boneless ribeye. I know a lot of folks like the ribeye caps separate, but I feel it’s really dishonest to sell basically just the eye as what an unsuspecting customer assumes is a boneless ribeye. I feel like it’s just for the stores to maximize profit.

I was never fond of the blade tenderizing they do so between the trimmed ribeyes and blade tenderizing I don’t think I’ll be buying Costco steak anymore.

I have also noticed that they sell the cap separately all coiled up. Don't remember how the pricing was though

It's been about a year since I've been in a Costco, but I definitely remember their prime ribeyes being divided into separate packages of eye and cap, and IIRC the price was nearly if not exactly the same, around $18-20/lb. IMO that's a decent deal for pure prime cap and a terrible deal for capless ribeye, but I'm not sure the average shopper is aware. IMO the eye buyers are subsidizing the cap buyers. The caps were rolled up and tied, which in my experience was impossible to cook without them wiggling out of the twine.

I've talked to the people at the meat department several times. Costcos will sell different cuts from different suppliers. The caps and eyes might be from one supplier, packaged separately, and they also may have complete ribeyes from a different supplier altogether. Sometimes you see three slabs of babybacks wrapped on Styrofoam, other times in the vacuum packages. I used to think the local Costco unwrapped those in vacuum bags and repackaged them on the Styrofoam, but no, different suppliers. Manager once brought out a couple boxes when I was shopping for meat one day and they didn't have what I wanted on display. I was quite surprised that they came packaged that way from different suppliers, even though they were almost the same product. In your case, I'm guessing that their supplier of the whole ribeyes ran out. I've seen that lately at one of my local Costcos, along with meats from suppliers I never saw before (especially chicken).

I have bought the caps a couple times. They're quite nice, but they do need to be trimmed a bit as they tend to leave in a few grizzly bits that distract from the luxurious experience that it should be.

I have bought the caps a couple times. They're quite nice, but they do need to be trimmed a bit as they tend to leave in a few grizzly bits that distract from the luxurious experience that it should be.

Gore,

I too have bought the caps. If they left in more of the luxurious bits, it would be less of a grizzly experience.

UPf7.gif

:caked:

I also do not like that the cap and eye are separated...I do like each of them, but together, as one. The cap is my favorite part of the ribeye steak, but I did not care for the cap steaks from Costco rolled up like that.

I no longer have a Costco membership but when I still had both, I shifted most of my meat purchases to Sam's Club.

Thanks for the thread. Had no idea they did this, but it would explain the ribeyes we had at a family member's house.

I've found Costco's beef to be inconsistent as it relates to the quality of certain cuts.

I've never had a single Tri-Tip, prime or choice that I liked, and I've tried many. Way too tough, particularly the Prime. Ribeye's have been OK to good, but never had a great one.

On the other hand, I've been buying the choice flap and or skirt for over 10 years now, and it's great.

I purchased two Prime tomahawk steaks last year, and they were absolutely superb. Go figure, since a Tomahawk is just a ribeye with a large bone.

Whole choice cryovac tenderloins I've had luck with, usually in the good to excellent range.

I LOVE the rolled cap. One of my favorite steaks. I haven't see it for quite some time though. I pick one up for myself every time I see them out.

Just make the caps yourself. Wait until steak goes on sale then buy a three or four bone roast. Rip off the caps, roll and cut. Cap steaks for $7/lb instead of 25 at Costco.

Back