THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
I have a Char-Broil American Gourmet Deluxe Offset Smoker. The big COS from Walmart. I have seen all types of mods for this to even out heat on both ends of the chamber. Here is my question. In the bottom is a grate to use for holding coals to turn the smoker into a big grill that runs the length of the chamber. If I covered the entire thing in heavy duty foil, made a deflector plate that would run the smoke/heat underneath it and moved the smokestack from the top right to the side just above the firebox, would this modified "reverse flow" system work? What issues do you see arising?

edit: the bottom grate leaves about 6 inches of space on either end when pushed up against either side of the chamber

I think it would still be hotter on the firebox end just using foil. I dont know what good it would do.

Now if you covered the grate with 1/4" steel plate instead of foil it might work. Or maybe fire bricks?

but I really dont know for sure. I thought about trying it with my OK Joe but decided against it as it works fine now with tuning plates.

I do know when I had too many tuning plates that it really hampered how my pit would breathe.

To answer your question in theory yes. However it won't work well, a better fix,> remove the lower grate
scour the thrift stores & yard sales for oven Broiler pans you will need 2. Cut one bottom in 1/2 to make the baffle (these are porcelain coated like a Weber so they take heat well) use the other 1/2 as the first piece next to the baffle, then a top, then a bottom, then a top. Re-install the lower grate above the original so you will now have two cooking levels doubling your capacity

On my offset smoker/grill, I have moved my exhaust many times, I lowered the fire box, made a 1/4 plate diverter to turn it into a reverse flow, that took almost 2 hours to get the whole smoker up to temp. Cut all that out, anyway after many trials with plates etc, I made a small expanded metal box about 3 in wide, 7 inches long and 6 inches high that I placed at the opposite end of the main firebox ( make a coal basket for the main firebox!!! out of expanded metal) moved the exhaust back to the opposite end of the main firebox, made a cheap aluminum flashing deflector for the inside of the exhaust to block direct flow. A 1 1/2 hole in the grill at the opposite end of the main firebox at the very side bottom and used more flashing to make a simple air shut off flapper. Putting 4 or 5 lit coals on top of the small firebox that is full of unlit coals, this will burn for 3 to 4 hrs depending before needing more coals. With the main firebox set as normal and using the small firebox I had temps within 10 across the smoker. Real windy days I had to move the smoker so the wind did not blow straight in from either end. And you can still use it as a grill. the ash from the small firebox falls where the grill ash goes..easy to clean. Gave that smoker to a friend to learn to smoke, then I built a bullet smoker, he gave the offset to his dad who still uses it, and he now has my bullet smoker. I only have 2 smokers right now with the 3rd in the works. If you need more info let me know.

If I covered the entire thing in heavy duty foil, made a deflector plate that would run the smoke/heat underneath it and moved the smokestack from the top right to the side just above the firebox, would this modified "reverse flow" system work?

I did something similar with my first NBBD but didn't use aluminum foil. I found a piece of 3/16" plate and used it as a radiating plate. Bent one end of the plate to form a deflector to get smoke and heat underneath the plate from the fire box. Lined the bottom of the smoke chamber with fire brick and ran flex dryer vent from the smoke stack to the firebox end of the smoke chamber. Presto change-o! Easy/instant reverse flow offset smoker. Great idea in theory, but I could never get the temp/smoke combo to work right. Worked on it for a whole summer and finally deconverted it. It worked better in the original configuration (and still does!).

This was the first mod of any sort I ever did with bbq stuff so YMMV.

I think it would still be hotter on the firebox end just using foil. I dont know what good it would do.

Now if you covered the grate with 1/4" steel plate instead of foil it might work. Or maybe fire bricks?

but I really dont know for sure. I thought about trying it with my OK Joe but decided against it as it works fine now with tuning plates.

I do know when I had too many tuning plates that it really hampered how my pit would breathe.
I think your firebrick idea is a good one. Maybe do the foil first and then put down a layer of brick on top of it? I agree with the caution about getting enough draft also. Make the new stack larger than the first one and make sure the intake is big enough.

I think your firebrick idea is a good one. Maybe do the foil first and then put down a layer of brick on top of it? I agree with the caution about getting enough draft also. Make the new stack larger than the first one and make sure the intake is big enough.

actually just to test the idea I would just use regular bricks

If it works then invest in fire bricks

Back