Cooking a Brisket and Stuffed Chicken on the Vertical offset!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Well good afternoon everyone! Thought I would share my cook for the day. I have a 10lb brisket. It's been cooking for 4 hours between 250-300 degree's so far.

I seasoned the brisket with this! We'll see how it is. Smelled pretty good
71ZZrwucX6L._SY550__zpsuhnqnzzu.jpg

Here's the brisket after throwing it in the smoker
IMG_0396_zpsdpkjqf0l.jpg

Brisket at 4 hours into the cook!
IMG_0409_zps6iscmris.jpg

Here's the stuffed bird (Still cooking the bird when making this thread) Stuffed it with StoveTop Savory Herbs dressing. Seasoned with Twisted Q's Crazy chick seasoning.
IMG_0399_zps0k2k7pp1.jpg

Here's a shot of the front of the chicken while cooking.
IMG_0404_zps41jhtiwr.jpg

I had to turn the chicken around One breast was cooking at 140IT while the other side was 130 IT. So I turned it around for a good stuffing shot!
IMG_0408_zps4be8muis.jpg

I will report later tonight with brisket and finished chicken pictures. Just wanted to get the thread started!

Here's the finished chicken. I was worried about the smoke over powering the stuffing but Turns out its just right!
IMG_0413_zpsr9ugmujw.jpg

Here's the brisket hitting 160 IT. I'm tired so its gonna be wrapped and finished in the oven. The little piece on the left is a hunk of fat that came off the brisket. Figured it would be a nice way to try the rub since I coated it heavy. I will be looking for more of this rub! It's freaking great!

IMG_0415_zpsim0tivre.jpg

I'll post finished brisket pics later when its done! For now Gonna chow down on some chicken, stuffing and corn!

Also here's a picture of the chicken cut into the breast. It's the most moist chicken I've cooked yet. Wonder if the stuffing has anything to do with it? The picture doesn't do the bird justice!

Also The missus's favorite part of chicken is the skin so sorry there's no skin LOL. We compromise though. Since she only likes the white meat, so she gets the breast skin and I get the whole leg quarters. So we both get skin!

IMG_0416_zpsha6crg2q.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on the chicken. I love the color of chicken when burning cherry wood. The vertical offset produces nice color on most foods I've cooked.

Here's the brisket! My review on the rub, I think I might of used to much. I noticed when rubbing the brisket it had pepper flakes in it. Which in return gives the brisket some heat. Not sure if this is my thing but the flavor from the rub is fantastic.

Only thing I had problems with on this brisket is I chose not to cut most of the fat cap. It was a pretty thin fat cap and decided to leave it. I've cooked the brisket at 275-300 all day.

After leaving the brisket to rest, I noticed that the fat cap is pretty much a sticky goo. Is this normal? I normally trim my brisket's fat cap pretty heavily. In return I couldn't remove the brisket from the foil, and it ripped part of the flat off with the grain. Is there anything you can do to avoid this?

I learned in my cooker I have to rotate the meat once in a while. If its flat meats such as ribs, chuck roasts, I"ll flip them through the cook so the bottoms of the meat don't bark up as much. I assume its mostly since its a vertical offset. I noticed this same thing cooking with the WSM vs cooking on my horizontal offset.

Thanks for looking!
IMG_0418_zps8gkqfoif.jpg

Great cook, brother!

I've never actually stuffed "stuffing" into a chicken... then smoked it. Thoroughly interesting (and damn, it looks good)!

Briskets look on point. :thumb:

I don't flip anything in my vertical except only when running full load, I rotate the meats on the farthest left side of the racks leading and closest to the stacks. That's where the draw is the strongest and tends to char some racks of ribs or chicken pieces. Happens usually when I run 300-325+ with a big fire.

Briskets look on point. :thumb:

I don't flip anything in my vertical except only when running full load, I rotate the meats on the farthest left side of the racks leading and closest to the stacks. That's where the draw is the strongest and tends to char some racks of ribs or chicken pieces. Happens usually when I run 300-325+ with a big fire.

I don't "Have" too flip anything really I just get more bark on the bottom of my meats Which I prefer to try to even it out a little bit, so I flip mostly to even out the bark and the bottom doesn't gain too much. It depends on how hot I'm cooking too.

Anyone have input on the sticky fat cap?? If its normal for the fat cap to become a sticky goo after cooking I think I'll continue to trim it more than normal. Still has great flavor as it holds fat and rub. Just kinda strange, Haven't experienced that before, and it was the one time I left most of the fat cap. My guess it might had something to do with cooking at 300 for the last portion of the cook in the oven.

Maybe it was the combination of the rub, high heat, and not adding any liquid to the bottom of the foil before wrapping and it just cooked the fat cap to much?

Last edited:
So it's officially been 7 days since this cook. This brisket was a select brisket, turned out to be the best darn brisket I've ever cooked! I'm surprised as it was a pretty average small brisket.

I was pretty skeptical on the rub as it had pepper flakes and other stuff in it but It was nothing but phenomenal. Really worked well with the beef, created a nice bark. The flavor profile is a little different than what I'm use too. But It gets a :thumb: from me

Back