Commercial Smoker Guys - Smoke Extractor Questions

unixadm

Take a breath!
Hello,

I have a Southern Pride SP-1000 on a Southern Pride Tandem Trailer. I have been cooking with it off and on, but the smoke in the face was killing me because of the amount of time you spend working inside of the unit to check on meat, rotate, etc.

So I bought a 600-1000 CFM fan from Ventilation Direct and it showed up yesterday. I installed it today and it bolted up nicely. After redoing some of the existing wiring and conduits (sun baked), I fired it up and all is well.

My question is this though. Should it leak a fair amount of heat/smoke out through the extractor when the louver is closed? The flap opens and shuts as it should, but I notice almost as much smoke coming out the fan as it is from the flue. Probably normal but I figured I'd check. Previously I had a plug installed in the original stainless plate which was on the extractor to connect to 10" ducting. I had to remove that to install the base of the fan assembly.

A quick test showed that it does make a big difference in keeping the smoke out of my eyes which is nice. It looks pretty massive on my smoker but it can be removed in an hour or so if necessary. It will also certainly attract the attention of the neighbors - it shoots out some serious smoke when running on 100% wood like I do.

20140906_121757.jpg

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Back